DOF use, (35mm adapter)

I am learning more on this area now, i think i may need to buy a DIY 35mm adapter or make one. But how often is it used in films, obviously I notice the scenes but Im just wondering if there are films that use it a lot less or is there a film out there that has not used it.

Im sorry if this is a sily question, i just have to sort my mind out lol

35mm film doesnt need a 35mm adapter. It has that DOF already.

a 35mm adapter is for Digital cameras that do not have a 35mm DOF built in.

Most prosumer digital camera's dont have a 35mm sensor, only High end digital cameras do like Genisis and RED.

The amount of DOF used in any movie is the preference of the DP. Some choose not to use it, while others use it as much as possible. Some very popular films with large budgets have been known to use infinite DOF throughout the entire film...

Last edited:
Depth of field is simply the depth (from film plane toward object area) of what is sharp.
By DOF I assume you mean shallow depth of field. This is a trick people use to make it look more like film. It can get pretty annoying. It can also occur naturally, it depends on the lens and other factors. You can also use it as an effect if you only want one object sharp.

Advice: Let the DOF occur naturally and use shallow depth of field when you really need it. Don't go crazy.

Thankyou for your replies,

I guess im trying to make the best of what I have for a good look, I only have CANON FS100 camcorder, I would like to try and make things look good and not just any old camcorder look.

Maximize your image quality and production, don't worry about looking like another medium. You can't make water colors look like oil, but you can make a beautiful painting.

Thankyou for your replies,

I guess im trying to make the best of what I have for a good look, I only have CANON FS100 camcorder, I would like to try and make things look good and not just any old camcorder look.

I have an fs100 and great lighting is the best way to really bring out the images this little camera captures . You should also take the time to set up your shots so they are not cluttered with to much in one scene . I also have found that a pistol grip works the best for steady - cam shots :yes: . Keep it simple and within the capabilities of your camera .
Here's the link to the one I bought for my fs100 dynamo . It will greatly expand your mobility . Best $15 I ever spent . You will have to file off the smallest nub for it to fit properly . DO NOT :no: FILE THE THREADED SCREW , or you will be screwed .
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e...ctronics&field-keywords=barska+grip&x=12&y=16

Last edited:
Back