Does YouTube playback suck for just me?

For about a month now, YouTube playback has been atrocious. Stopping a few seconds in. Trying to play at 240 and other junk settings. This is happening on more than just my home network.

Anyone else?

it always sucks. if there is a video i want to watch on youtube, i use a plug-in to download the thing and then watch it locally. no buffering issues or frustration that way

Seems to work quite well. No buffering and I can skip forwards and backwards in HD quality pretty fast. Using an old laptop and mobile internet.

Last edited:
Yup, depends upon your computer and, of course, your internet connection.

Some internet connections slow down when more people are logged on. So, if 50 more people in your area started using the same cable connection that you have you are now that much slower.

It's basically unwatchable at my place. DSL connection, newish computer, etc. For comparison, I rarely have issues watching vids on Vimeo.

Variables:
1 - Time of day/other users
2 - Your local internet connection network
3 - Your computer

Variables:
1 - Time of day/other users
2 - Your local internet connection network
3 - Your computer

also popularity if the video. if your using the flash player and thousands of people are watching it at once, it does a p2p thing automatically and distributes the video via the users.

so if it's only you watching it, it will be slower

Back