Does this sound suspicious

A guy I know is directing a religious film with a budget of 30,000. Or at least thats what there budget on a kickstarter type site says, and theyre getting pretty close to it. Its an adaption of some best seller christian book. Now this kid is 19 years old, just finished his freshman year at a filmschool and has never created a narrative of his own. Does it seem strange that the producer, trusted this kid? So confused by this situation. Let me know what you think. :weird:

What is your role in this? Are you thinking about working on his film, or giving him some money? Has he made a short film or a documentary, just not a feature?

Please give a link to the Kickstarter page.

I was thinking of donating but feel weird about it. Made a simple 5 min documentary about a lake on a go

Last edited:
religious film

Key words.

Funding for those doesn't follow the same rules as for regular movies - even "indie" ones.

This is because (and I hope I can state this without sparking a religious debate - full disclosure: I am not a Religious man, but I am a somewhat spiritual one - the capitalization differences are intentional) the money is coming from people who are more interested in the Faith of the film-maker and their passion for the project than they are in their experience or talent.

That is, naturally, a generalization, but those exist for a reason. Acknowledge them for what they are and there is nothing wrong with them.

Anyway, there's no reason to think that the guy couldn't get funding because of this age/inexperience. The producer could be a member of his church with deep pockets, or a relative, or have collected money from every stop along the Revival Tent Tour and used that for the budget.

None of this is to say anything about his filmmaking ability, just that when you through Religion into the mix, bets can often be off. ;)

Key words.

Funding for those doesn't follow the same rules as for regular movies - even "indie" ones.

This is because (and I hope I can state this without sparking a religious debate - full disclosure: I am not a Religious man, but I am a somewhat spiritual one - the capitalization differences are intentional) the money is coming from people who are more interested in the Faith of the film-maker and their passion for the project than they are in their experience or talent.

That is, naturally, a generalization, but those exist for a reason. Acknowledge them for what they are and there is nothing wrong with them.

Anyway, there's no reason to think that the guy couldn't get funding because of this age/inexperience. The producer could be a member of his church with deep pockets, or a relative, or have collected money from every stop along the Revival Tent Tour and used that for the budget.

None of this is to say anything about his filmmaking ability, just that when you through Religion into the mix, bets can often be off. ;)

+1 Well said :yes:

Maybe someone like Paul can chime in and add something substantive to the conversation, since if I'm not mistaken, he's been having some success in this area.

Yeah, it's a market that you can still make money in because (SPOILER ALERT) most religions tend to frown upon stealing. And since there is comparatively little media out there that has a specific religious message, it' a market that is not yet satiated.

Its an adaption of some best seller christian book.

This is the other reason for this kid's funding success that I can see: he picked a product that had an existing fan base. I would bet you a lot of those folks to who donated have read and liked that book. That helps big time.

Does it seem strange that the producer, trusted this kid? So confused by this situation. Let me know what you think.
It doesn't seem strange to me. You know this guy - if
you don't think he is capable of directing then you
shouldn't donate. Without knowing this guy, I think
it's great that the producers trust him.

Back