Does these effects look convincing?

I was doing some tests to see how fast I could make a vehicle look like it go. I took footage of motorcycles going by and sped them up by about 3 times. Then added motion blur, to make it look more convincing. Does it look convincing, or still fake?

http://youtu.be/_CftNXs4GWA

Thanks.

not much on the duration, so it's hard to tell, but if the shots are that short in the completed film, then yea

They won't necessarily be that short. It's just when you speed the bikes up that fast, there isn't much of a shot left to hold them. I could pan more on them for future shots. But as a quick shot, does it sell. If so, maybe quick shots are a good thing.

hmmm there's something missing... can't really put my finger on it... but i think i need to see something else moving in the shot... or else to me it feels like a still picture, with 2 still picture motor cycles speeding across the screen...

Sure I had the camera locked on a tripod. I was about to put a camera tracking clip on youtube, but it came out strange. How come in Premiere Pro, if you take frames out it looks okay, but when you use the rate stretch tool, the sped up motion looks different? Is it me, or is there a difference between the two? I thought the RST just took frames out for you when you use it.

Hmm.

The biggest problem I see is the riders. They are sitting upright as though they are cruising. Motorcyclists going that speed would usually be leaned more forward, not "sport bike" forward, but definitely a forward lean even on a cruiser.

Hmm.

The biggest problem I see is the riders. They are sitting upright as though they are cruising. Motorcyclists going that speed would usually be leaned more forward, not "sport bike" forward, but definitely a forward lean even on a cruiser.

I agree, i couldn't quite put my finger on it until you said it. Also, personally I dont think the camera angle is that intresting, but hey, it might work for the script.

Then again, you can sell alot of not-so-great visual effects by having good sound effects, especially in such short shots.

Oh this was just a test, not the angle I would use. I saw some bikes coming, and had to shoot quickly. Okay so it won't work for bikes cause of the position, but for cars maybe? What looks more convincing? Taking out frames, or using the rate stretch tool? Both have different effects.

My first reaction was that the front motorcycle looked too sharp, didn't have enough motion blur.
Watched it a few more times and I wasn't sure anymore, but the first impression is probably the most important - especially considering how short the clip is.

(EDIT: On the other hand, when you step through it frame by frame, you do see a good amount of motion blur. The second motorcycle does seem to have more, though, so maybe it's the slight difference between the two that I was picking up on.)

(EDIT AGAIN: Okay, you know what it is? The first motorcycle is red, so it draws the eye more than the second and the viewer is more sensitive to any deficiencies in the image. The second motorcycle, being gray, is seen more peripherally so it comes across as more convincing. To my eye, it seems the red motorcycle could use more blur - or less red.)

Last edited:
Okay thanks. I will add sound later once I have figured out what to do with the video. I tried adding motion blur to another clip to show, but for some reason the motion blur will not activate on that clip in After Effects. Any idea why?

It seems ok.

The movement seems quite laggy though.

With some decent sound you might be able to pull it off.

your bikes have less motion blur for the speed they are traveling at. But the Biggest problem is that your shadows have no motion blur AT ALL. thats your biggest problem

I suggest to record an actual motorcycle for reference and study the footage frame by frame.
There is a ton of things going on when a vehicle drives by: kicked up rocks, wind, suspension, reflection off the surfaces. It's not just "add key frame + motion blur = effect". Always have a reference footage.
Speeding up the footage doesn't really work because a bike going 25 mph will have very VERY different effect than a bike going 50mph.

Oh and yes, sound will sell 50% of your special effect.

Last edited:
Sure. Will it look good? Probably not.

There is a reason why visual effect guys and post audio engineers get paid bucks. There is no easy way to make it look good just with a couple of clicks and some basic control adjustments. There isn't a tutorial on that.

By the way, the reason the shot looks bad because it's just flat, IMHO. There is no perspective, nothing interesting or unusual is going on...
If you would do a worm view as bikes ride AT you - then it would be much much better. Even if you did make a convincing shot with that camera position - it will still be sh*tty because of poor camera placement :)

Making it look good doesn't happen in post, but in pre production. Visualize the shot. Think about your scene. Twist it in your head. Will it look better if I shot the bikes from above, on the ladder? Or just get down low? Or maybe have bike pass you as te camera on the ground ad the bikes pass it on each side of the frame? That would look cool. Shoot them perpendicular like what you ve had will give you only 100 views on YouTube...

Last edited:
For sure. This wasn't really a pre-planned shot, I just so happen to get some bikes go by, by accident. If I were doing an actual production I would pre-plan and shoot it much better. I could shoot a lot of footage like that and then hire a post effects guy to do the effects for me, but is their anything I need to know while shooting it live, in order to make it work, when the post guy gets it?

Hmm.

This.

If you want it to look faster then it is, try up close and low to the ground.

Back