Does submitting a "working version" hurt chances of getting into festivals?

I'm just about ready to submit my film to a major festival. The problem is there's one scene in there that has a really tiny mistake in there. It's bearly noticable and last for a split second. The thing is, I noticed it, so I fancy a festival judge who watches and rewatches and rewatches and rewatches my film looking for mistakes will at some point find it as well (it took me 15 screenings on my pc to realize it).

However I won't be able to get together with my editor in the editing studio until a week and a half from the film's entry deadline.

1) Would it be wise to submit this film as a "working version?"

2) Would submitting as a working version hurt my chances of getting into the festival (bear in mind this is a MAJOR festival and I'm a no-name director submitting for the first time)?

It's not wise to submit a working version, and most festivals don't like/allow them. It lowers your chances of getting in. If you have a tiny mistake that took you 15 viewings to find, I would send it as a finished film. These judges have many other films to focus on, they're not going to watch yours 15 times to look for mistakes.

Chimp - Thanks for the Advice

Zen - Hahaha does the process work this way? It's my understanding festivals get thousands of submissions per year so I'm just invisioning a festival judge looking and re-looking for any minor reason to not accept the film and pass on it.

It's my understanding festivals get thousands of submissions per year so I'm just invisioning a festival judge looking and re-looking for any minor reason to not accept the film and pass on it.

Zensteve made the comment he did because it does not work this way, it can't work this way if you think about it. Let's say a major festival has 4,000 feature length entries. To watch them all, say 3 times, working a solid 8 hours a day, 365 days a year, would take a judge about 5 and a half years and then they could start on the shorts entries!

For a major festival, the process usually starts with a fleet of interns skipping through the entries, eliminating the worst ones; the most obviously poorly executed ones. The entries left then go through progressively more rigorously examined rounds of elimination with progressively more experienced judges until they are left with a final list plus a few extra (reserves). At a guess, the majority/vast majority of entries are likely to be eliminated without ever being viewed in their entirety. It's this final list which is viewed by the main festival judging panel. The judging panel of major festivals are at least reasonably well respected practising industry professionals who don't have time to participate in the elimination process leading up to the creation of the final shortlist, except possibly in the very final round of elimination. Exhibition copies are then requested and test screened in a commercial quality screening room to identify technical problems, those with problems which can't be relatively easily/quickly fixed by the filmmaker are rejected and replaced by one of the reserve films. The majority/vast majority of technical problems which cause rejection (at any stage of the elimination process) are sound related problems. And, make absolutely certain you have fully understood the exhibition copy technical requirements of the festival and are able to comply with them. You'd be surprised at how many films fall at this final hurdle and how deeply frustrating/upsetting it is for the filmmakers!!

The process I've described is a generalisation, each major festival will have developed it's own exact process. It's not uncommon for features to be submitted which are not finished but usually it's just the final sound mix which is incomplete and/or some grading. Obviously a completed (inc. sound mix) copy is required for exhibition, should the entrant get that far. I'm not so sure about shorts though, IMHO it would probably be a mistake to submit a short which is not finished in every respect, except maybe the final sound mix. The temp sound mix used for submission would still need to be of a pretty decent quality though.

BTW, I don't pretend to be an expert with any first hand insider knowledge of precisely how the major festivals manage the logistics of judging/elimination. The above is just based on my experience of being involved in a number of long form projects over the years which have been exhibited at some of the major festivals.

G

Last edited:
Thanks so much all!

AudioPostExpert - your answer prompted another important question, when using withoutabox they have a section called "Format: Exhibition" which I take to mean the way the screener DVD will play. Looking at this more closely I am lead to ask:

a)Are the festivals asking for the exhibition tecnihcal stats of the final 2D/3D DCP file upon being accepted into the festival

b)or the exhibition technical stats of the screener DVD I'm, going to mail them for their consideration?

Sorry, I can't answer your question as I've never submitted anything on Withoutabox, my job is only to achieve the best sound mix possible which achieves the technical requirements within the confines of the available time/budget. I can tell you that the major festivals all accept the exhibition copy in 35mm film format, most also accept DCP and/or HDCAM. As far as I am aware, all require a minimum 3.0 sound mix.

G

AudioPostExpert - your answer prompted another important question, when using withoutabox they have a section called "Format: Exhibition" which I take to mean the way the screener DVD will play. Looking at this more closely I am lead to ask:

a)Are the festivals asking for the exhibition tecnihcal stats of the final 2D/3D DCP file upon being accepted into the festival

b)or the exhibition technical stats of the screener DVD I'm, going to mail them for their consideration?

I'm pretty sure it's 'a' - the DVD you send them is the screener and what plays at the festival would be the 'exhibition' format.

The problem is there's one scene in there that has a really tiny mistake in there. It's bearly noticable and last for a split second. The thing is, I noticed it, so I fancy a festival judge who watches and rewatches and rewatches and rewatches my film looking for mistakes will at some point find it as well (it took me 15 screenings on my pc to realize it).

I'd say that if there's only one scene in your whole movie (not sure if short or feature, but either way) where you see a tiny mistake, and it took you 15 screenings to see it, nobody else is likely to either see it or care if they do. When you make a film you pay more, and closer, attention to it than anybody else ever will. You'll often reach a point where all you can see are flaws. Part of the challenge is learning which ones really need to be fixed and which aren't likely to matter to anyone other than you - because these days it's entirely possible to go on tweaking a film indefinitely.

In fact, it seems to me that on the independent level it's the flaws you aren't aware of that are more critical than the ones you are. At least when you're aware of them you can make the call on whether to change them or not, otherwise you're stuck with audiences who don't like your film and you can't figure out why.

Back