Does shutter speed affect rolling shutter?

Hey, quick question for the well-informed...

I recently shot a bit of video at a higher-than-normal shutter speed (1/500, I think) on my T3i, and I was wondering if that would reduce the rolling shutter at all. In my mind it would, because there is less of a time delay between the first line scanning to the last line scanning. However, some people in other forums have suggested that rolling shutter and the shutter speed are different things entirely.

Does anyone here know for sure if raising the shutter speed has any affect on rolling shutter effects? The reason I ask is because I'm using Deshaker, and rolling shutter is a parameter that it uses to do its thing.

Thanks for the help!

Shutter speed shouldn't affect it at all. The sensor is scanning from bottom to top at 1/24 of a second at a 1/50 shutter speed and at 1/500, it just the shutter opens and closes (almost) twice per "read" (frame) at 1/50 and 20 times at 1/500, if that makes sense?

Shutter speed shouldn't affect it at all. The sensor is scanning from bottom to top at 1/24 of a second at a 1/50 shutter speed and at 1/500, it just the shutter opens and closes (almost) twice per "read" (frame) at 1/50 and 20 times at 1/500, if that makes sense?

Not sure I agree with this Paul. Now I am a bit of a novice and I definitely don`t pretend to dispense expert advice. However, it would seem to me that if I expose my frame at 1/50 it has more time to `roll` than if I expose it for 1/500, whatever the framerate. Try it. I have. (no footage now). It looks better with a faster shutter speed, at least to me.

cheers.

Shutter speed and rolling shutter are generally independent of one another.

Rolling shutter is caused by reading one line at a time from the sensor, starting at the top and scanning to the bottom. The longer this takes to happen, the greater the difference between the first line and the last, and the worse the rolling shutter effect. The rate at which the lines can be read out is determined by the speed of the camera's image processing circuitry. Newer, bigger, more expensive and more power-hungry cameras tend to have less rolling shutter because they can have faster processors.

Shutter speed has to do with how long each line gathers light before it is read out. So a line can gather light for 1/50th of a second, or 1/500th, before it is read out - but no matter what the exposure time for each individual line is the delay until the next line is read doesn't change because it's limited by the speed of the processor. Any visual difference between shutter speeds comes down to a change in the amount of motion blur.

Shutter speed and rolling shutter are generally independent of one another.

Rolling shutter is caused by reading one line at a time from the sensor, starting at the top and scanning to the bottom. The longer this takes to happen, the greater the difference between the first line and the last, and the worse the rolling shutter effect. The rate at which the lines can be read out is determined by the speed of the camera's image processing circuitry. Newer, bigger, more expensive and more power-hungry cameras tend to have less rolling shutter because they can have faster processors.

Shutter speed has to do with how long each line gathers light before it is read out. So a line can gather light for 1/50th of a second, or 1/500th, before it is read out - but no matter what the exposure time for each individual line is the delay until the next line is read doesn't change because it's limited by the speed of the processor. Any visual difference between shutter speeds comes down to a change in the amount of motion blur.

I agree on how the rolling shutter works. but maybe, and I don't know this for a fact, but maybe even though the delay until the next line is read is not changed by exposure time, the time each line remains exposed is obviously changed, and that obviously changes the overall time it takes for the frame to gather the light. All I know is that I notice a difference in the rolling shutter effect when I increase my shutter speed. Maybe I'm seeing things.

Back