• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Does my idea remind you of 'Looper'

First off,hi everyone. This is my first post on IT.So excited to be part of this new community!

I have an idea for my 3rd (this one being semi pro.Others were too shit to share) short film.It is going to be of 4-5 mins.I basic idea is,a man in his late 60's goes back into the past to kill 20year himself because that 20 year old would turn out to be a extremely bad person.

This is the rough idea.Does it seem like a copy of Looper? As an aspiring filmmaker,the last thing I want to do is to copy from other made films.Please respond.Thanks

First off,hi everyone. This is my first post on IT.So excited to be part of this new community!

I have an idea for my 3rd (this one being semi pro.Others were too shit to share) short film.It is going to be of 4-5 mins.I basic idea is,a man in his late 60's goes back into the past to kill 20year himself because that 20 year old would turn out to be a extremely bad person.

This is the rough idea.Does it seem like a copy of Looper? As an aspiring filmmaker,the last thing I want to do is to copy from other made films.Please respond.Thanks

Try to come up with a new idea or a plot and yes it does reminds me of looper!

It is going to be of 4-5 mins.I basic idea is,a man in his late 60's goes back into the past to kill 20year himself because that 20 year old would turn out to be a extremely bad person.

This is the rough idea.Does it seem like a copy of Looper?

It sounds like it here, but make it your own. Maybe he kills his young self but he doesn't disappear. Maybe this is his twin, an imposter, a doppleganger, he was tricked into killing him and now has to figure out who tricked him and why. Maybe it was his future self that was actually the bad person, not his past self, and now he has to kill his current (future) self or live the life again, but why didn't he just disappear at that moment? Oh... the wonderful possibilities of time travel!

And, although it sounds like Looper, it's not. As he came back to kill someone else that turned out bad. Maybe it's not because he was "bad" per se, but for some other reason?

It's nigh impossible to come up with a completely unique story, but it certainly is possible to come up with a unique take on it.

CraigL

I like it, not really like looper at all, cept the time travel stuff.

Its an interesting paradox, with some pretty deep moral questions touching on topics like assisted suicide, as well as "fate" vs "choice" ....

the younger guy talks the older guy out of doing it promising that he will go good from now on.
And he does, he makes different choices, always choosing good, etc.. but in the end 45 years later, the situation is exactly the same, the new "good" life has turned out to cause just as much pain and suffering in the world around him, that he decided to go back AGAIN and kill the younger self for sure this time!!!....

This is Kierkegaard existential crisis... in the end you only get to make the choices, outcome is beyond your control...

Back