Does cinema need a punk rock?

Disclaimer: This is sort of an unorganized rant, so I might be a little verbose.

Recently, I've been a bit disenchanted with my writing. I feel like even though I'm pushing for the highest level of artistry that I can, my films will never make any sort of actual impact.

I really don't want to be indifferent about all the shit that's going wrong in the world. I don't want to make things for the sake of pure escapism. At the same time, I don't want to be preachy. Documentary filmmaking doesn't really interest me, I'm a narrative person.

I want to satirize things and maybe get people out of their apathetic shells. At the same time, I really do value art for it's own sake. Pulp fiction might not make the world a better place, but it's a great fucking movie.

Imo, the hollywood establishment is, at some level, sucking the creativity and art out of cinema. That being said, we're at a point with the internet and digital cameras and whatnot, that anyone can create a movie.

This seems a lot like the conditions under which punk was created. I'm not suggesting that we follow in the footsteps of something that is, admittedly, dead. I'm not even suggesting that we start some sort of movement.

That being said, this is a topic that I'd like to discuss. What do you think of politics in movies? Are there any good films that are relevant to the discussion?

The movement has started. Filmmakers have been making very
good movies outside of Hollywood and the studio system for a long
time. As you point out with the internet and digital cameras and
whatnot it's even easier and less expensive for more and more people
to make films outside of the studio system.

There is a lot of amazing work out there. It's very difficult to find
now that we have the internet and digital cameras and whatnot
but it's out there.
That being said, this is a topic that I'd like to discuss. What do you think of politics in movies? Are there any good films that are relevant to the discussion?
I don't like politics in movies for the most part. It's the rare filmmaker
who can make their point without being preachy and I don't like being
preached to. The ones I dislike are the ones that come from "the other
side" and the ones that I like are the ones that support my own politics.
I suspect most people are like that so it's very subjective. As open minded
we all believe we are, we are generally pretty closed minded to "the other
side".

I don't like politics in movies for the most part. It's the rare filmmaker
who can make their point without being preachy and I don't like being
preached to. The ones I dislike are the ones that come from "the other
side" and the ones that I like are the ones that support my own politics.
I suspect most people are like that so it's very subjective. As open minded
we all believe we are, we are generally pretty closed minded to "the other
side".

That's a good point, one that I generally agree with. What about films that don't take a side, but provoke thought on a topic? A good example might be something like "A Clockwork Orange"...

That's a good point, one that I generally agree with. What about films that don't take a side, but provoke thought on a topic? A good example might be something like "A Clockwork Orange"...
As I said, it's very rare that a filmmaker can be neutral when it
comes to politics in a story. Off the top of my head I can't think
of politically driven movies that are neutral but provoke thoughts
on the topic. "A Clockwork Orange" is about social engineering
more than about politics in my mind. And it takes a very clear
side on that subject.

I'm sure there are some movies that take on politics without
taking a side. There are plenty of movies about politics like "The
Manchurian Candidate", "All the Presidents Men", "Wag the Dog",
"Dr. Strangelove", and "The Great McGinty" that remain relatively
neutral. Maybe that's what you're discussing?

I'm using the word "politics" pretty liberally (pun not intended).

I would disagree that "A Clockwork Orange" takes a side, though. It seems like it villainizes (splling?) both sides. On one hand, Alex is a murderous rapist psychopath who needs to be stopped. On the other hand, the methods to stop him are pretty extreme.
It creates an interesting discussion.

What I find interesting is when a film (or album, book, painting etc.) can start that sort of discussion among people, if that makes sense...

I think there are enough films being made that any type you want is out there, but you have to dig to find them. Only a specific type ("Hollywood establishments") actually have hype, money and a massive audience. And that's probably not going to change anytime soon, because that's the type of film that makes a profit.

Perhaps instead of "politics" it would be better to use the word "philosophy?" Anyway, I enjoy discussions about films, both as they pertain to the real world and within their own world. Films that directly talk about the real world often become preachy, but sometimes a film provokes the best discussion if it's only looked at within its own world. I find it refreshing and amazing when films can create their own fantastic reality, and present a topic that can be discussed within that film world. Does that make sense?

What I find interesting is when a film (or album, book, painting etc.) can start that sort of discussion among people, if that makes sense...
That was exactly the incentive for me when making my last short film. I examined a topic without taking a side. Unfortunately (as far as provoking a discussion goes), I was also not relying on narrative and no one I talked to had any idea what it was about so no one wanted to talk about it :lol:

Back