Does anyone know if PA's are allowed to drive/shuttle actors on a union shoot?

Question in title. I'm wondering if PA's are allowed to drive actors and act as chauffeurs for them on IATSE union shoots. I know teamsters exist to drive the production trucks, trailers, etc... but what about simple passenger vehicles like a sedan? How about a maxivan (15 person passenger van)? Does anyone know? I need to know for planning purposes obviously.

Definitely second Lucky's answer. You can't have your PA's do this job.

I'm guessing you're a producer or line producer or UPM, yes? The thing you should really keep in mind is that "simple passenger vehicles" is almost an oxymoron. If your PA-driver gets in an accident with actors in the car... let's not even talk about whether those actors get hurt... making them late is a big deal. In essence, all transportation of actors and crew is a big deal for both timeliness and obviously safety.

I may sound like some sort of union robot, but I'm not at all. I'm just trying to underscore that driving people around is fine for maybe a halfday. But you start factoring in fatigue and complex parking and possible mapping glitches, and all the nasty hiccups in a bigger shoot, and suddenly your simple drive becomes a magnet for Murphy's law.

Union rates can SUCK when it comes to vehicle movement, but the flip side is that it's a crucial job that needs attention.

Shanked

Question in title. I'm wondering if PA's are allowed to drive actors and act as chauffeurs for them on IATSE union shoots.
In some cases, yes. Driving actors from, say, the parking lot to
the set is a 399 job - IA does not represent drivers. Picking up
an actor in a rented car from their hotel or home can be done by
a personal assistant.

I was under the impression that Production Assistants just did whatever the F needed to get done, whatever that may be, and sometimes that includes picking people up.

Mind you, I've never done it, but that's what I've read about it -- that a PA is sometimes asked to pick stuff up, be it a random tool from a hardware store, coffee from Starbucks, or an actor from the airport.

It's the difference between Union and non-Union.

Union rules clearly define the responsibilities of each person associated with a craft. A PA is indeed supposed to do all of the odd jobs on a set and go'fer for anything and everything except talent and crew or do any craft work without being asked by a member of that craft.

I'm always cognizant of, and the very nervous of, litigious ramifications. When you're doing low/no/mini/micro budget indies you are indeed lucky if you can find a PA you can trust enough to drive talent, crew or equipment around. Just always remember that when you toss a PA the keys to your car you're the one that's on the hook for any problems that may arise.

Last edited:
Alcove is correct. That’s a difference between union and non-union
shows. The unions do what they can to protect the jobs of their
members. If a producer could hire a $10/hr PA rather than a union
member at their rate, most would do it. So there are written
agreements that a producer agrees to follow.

Teamsters (Local 399 in Los Angeles) want to keep their members
employed so they have written guidelines on who can drive. A PA
hired by the producer on a union show cannot just do whatever the
F needs to be done. They cannot do a job that will replace a union
member. In the states PA’s do not have union preresentation. Even
on a union/guild show they are non-union. However each department
can hire PA’s who are covered by their union agreement. So the
Teamsters can have a PA who is a 399 and the Key Grip can hire a
PA who is an 80.

In some cases talent can hire a personal driver who is non union.

Non union shows have no rules at all. A producer can toss the keys to
anyone on the set and ask them to pick up anyone or anything.

Back