• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Does a leaked script really impact the sales of a movie?

Hey all, it's Michael again (Long time no see) :lol:

I am making a feature length movie and none of my cast members ever signed confidentiality agreements and I'm already in post production. Literally up to 50 people have been a part of this film, including a lot of extras, and I do not have the time to track them all down to make them sign a confidentiality form now. I mean I could..... But it's probably already too late and its been leaked with their friends and family.

But also, I guess this is a plus, but I never sent any of my actors a full script. I would always send them bits and pieces since my film has no main actor. Most of my actors have no idea what my movie is about. Some of my actors assume it's about this, others assume it's about that. And even when we're on set, we change the script around.

So should I really care if bits of the script get leaked? I mean who even cares if a script gets leaked? Who cared to read Kubrick's "Napoleon" piece script after it was leaked or Tarantino's "Hateful 8" script. I don't think a leaked script really impacts sales because people still need to "see" your movie to place judgement.... And spoilers could actually increase your sales.

Also, none of my actors took any video footage of any shoots. All cell phones are collected in bins at the start of shoots. So I have all the footage since I am the only person on set serving as the camera operator/cinematographer, etc. All footage is from me

What do you think?

Last edited:
Welcome back.

I'll expand on WalterB's comment:

You are not a name writer/director. No one is interested in reading
your script. I'm not saying this is impugn your talent or your drive
or your experience or you as a person. If you posted your entire
script on line and asked the members of indietalk to read it I doubt
you would get 100 reads. If one of your actors were to post your
entire script on line and then ask their Facebook friends to read it
how many do you think would? 50,000? 500? 5,000? If someone in
the movie broke their confidentialy agreement and posted your
script on line do you have the means to sue them for breach of contract?
And what would you gain if you did?

As you point out a big name celebrity writer/director went public on all
the entertainment media to complain about his script being leaked didn't
seem to hurt the box office. Do you know how many people downloaded
the leaked script? How many read it?

I'm with WalterB. Don't worry. You do not have the celebrity name to
get people to read your script. Even if 500 did it will not hurt sales. If
the script is excellent it may actually help sales.

Back