Documentary Questions

Hi,

I'm wanting to create a documentary about my local city (Glasgow). I've been wanting to do it for a while now but only started getting the planning done recently. I am planning on getting the funding through IndieGoGo or Kickstarter, which will be used to fund the equipment, travel costs and camera etc...I will in turn be giving them signed copies of the documentary on DVD.

Now, I'll be filming all of the different locations myself, editing it and retouching various things in post. I'll also be handling most of the equipment on set. Obviously it needs a narrator, but me being 15 wouldn't really suit the part. So I'm basically wanting to hire a narrator online for it. I've noticed that narrators generally make an appearance on screen at some point in most documentaries. Unless the narrator is close to Glasgow, they probably won't make an appearance on screen. So is this acceptable?

I would be wanting the narrator to go over the history of the city, explain things about various parts about it etc... Over this would be various shots of the city, relevant of course to what the narrator is currently saying. So I was wondering if I could get away with them not appearing?

The other thing is peoples faces. For some shots, it may be hard to get shots that people's faces aren't identifiable. For interviews, I know I'll need to get them to sign a form. But I can't go round asking dozens of people to sign forms. Is it acceptable if they're face is really hard to make out? (Bearing in mind it will be submitted to film festivals? I think I may have asked something similar to that on here before about the faces, but I read an article a while back saying that anyone's face in a crowd who could be identified without a form is a big no for agents or companies wanting to pick up the documentary?

Thanks!

Last edited:
As for the release forms, it depends on where you're going to distribute and what the laws are in those areas. I suspect you're only going to distribute locally, then you'll need to find out the laws in your country.

For the announcer, green screen him/her.

Good luck!

As for the release forms, it depends on where you're going to distribute and what the laws are in those areas. I suspect you're only going to distribute locally, then you'll need to find out the laws in your country.

For the announcer, green screen him/her.

Good luck!

Thanks! I really don't know exactly where I'm distributing, but I was hoping worldwide to give others an insight into the city.

I would green screen them but there's no way I'd be able to make it look convincing. I'm not really wanting to have them all flat and then a clip in the background.

I'm basically wanting to hire a narrator online for it. I've noticed that narrators generally make an appearance on screen at some point in most documentaries. Unless the narrator is close to Glasgow, they probably won't make an appearance on screen. So is this acceptable?

There are tens of thousands of v/o artists who'd be thrilled to be an off-camera narrator. Don't sweat it.

I would be wanting the narrator to go over the history of the city, explain things about various parts about it etc... Over this would be various shots of the city, relevant of course to what the narrator is currently saying. So I was wondering if I could get away with them not appearing?

Email your narrator the script; wait for the .WAV file. Simple as that. (oh, and a talent release, in case you forgot)

There are tens of thousands of v/o artists who'd be thrilled to be an off-camera narrator. Don't sweat it.

Email your narrator the script; wait for the .WAV file. Simple as that. (oh, and a talent release, in case you forgot)

Thanks.

I guess I might look around some freelancing sites or post around here to try and find one. The only other problem I have is picking someone with the appropriate accent. Some people might have a hard time making out certain lines if the narrator is from Glasgow, if it's set for global distribution. But at the same time, I don't know how well it would work if I got someone with an accent totally different from Scotland...

I guess I'll think about that later ;)

Since you are doing a documentary about Glasgow why not contact the Glasgow City Film Office (or whatever they call it). They should be able to direct you to resources and give you the information you need about whether you can show peoples faces and other film issues. You should also contact the "town fathers" (city council, mayors office, chamber of commerce, etc.), local businesses, foundations and societies since you are making a doc on their favorite subject. You may get free or reduced fee permits, introductions to historians, people with financing abilities (such as local foundations), or who knows what else may pop up. It never hurts to ask; the worst they can say is "No." And great things may come your way of they say "Yes."

Since you are doing a documentary about Glasgow why not contact the Glasgow City Film Office (or whatever they call it). They should be able to direct you to resources and give you the information you need about whether you can show peoples faces and other film issues. You should also contact the "town fathers" (city council, mayors office, chamber of commerce, etc.), local businesses, foundations and societies since you are making a doc on their favorite subject. You may get free or reduced fee permits, introductions to historians, people with financing abilities (such as local foundations), or who knows what else may pop up. It never hurts to ask; the worst they can say is "No." And great things may come your way of they say "Yes."

Thanks, just looked at a site which can help reduce costs for permits/hiring locations etc around Glasgow. Definitely going to give them an e-mail when I've fully planned the project. Just wonder now if there's any local trusts that fund filming in Glasgow.

Back