• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Documentary Proposal critera

I tried doing searches, but couldn't get what I was looking for.

I am thinking about writing a proposal for a documentary idea I have. Yes it will have to be written and reworked, but I want to at least get the practice.

If I am writing to a production company, proposing a documentary, what critera should I consider?

I know my subject (mask history). I THINK I know that there are two ways I can do it: I can submit the proposal to them with the idea that THEY would produce it, or where *I* would produce it, in which case it would be more about "would you financially support" type of thing.

Other than that I am a TOTAL newbie in this area-so if anyone could list, from their experiences and knowledge, the type of things I should consider for critera when making my proposal (besides dollars, that's easy lol)

EDIT: if you're wondering scope, of thinking of a multi-part documentary, detailing mask history from it's earliest indications (on Cave Paintins) to modern day usage-and I'm not just talking Halloween and Costume celebrations-I'm talking about there various uses in things like sports, Arts, and day to day usage, including protective equipment.

Yes I don't lack ambition :D

Last edited:
Would it be appropriate to ask the production company for a hour sit-down on what sort of format and criteria they require for an optimal submission?

FWIW, it sounds like an interesting enough subject for History Channel.

Nice PDF find, too!

Would it be appropriate to ask the production company for a hour sit-down on what sort of format and criteria they require for an optimal submission?

FWIW, it sounds like an interesting enough subject for History Channel.

Nice PDF find, too!

Yea, that PDF-I had to work to find it! I did hours of digging and searching, cross-referencing...

Ah, who am I kidding, I just googled "Documentary Proposal" and that was one of the links ;) Still it was a good find, nicely laid out. Thanks for the compliment about the subject, here's hoping I can get H channel to pick it up! ;)

That is a good question though about the production company, one I'd like to know as well!

This sounds like a fascinating proposal, Tina. Along with proposals to prodco's, how about some non-profits or private company funding? It's too late for an app to the NEH ( http://www.neh.gov/grants/guidelines/fellowships.html#howto ), but check out some of the listings on The Foundation center site:
http://www.foundationcenter.org/pnd/rfp/cat_arts.jhtml

Thanks for the links Bird! I'll be sure to check them out, hadn't thought about non-profits or private company, they're all helpful!

I think it's because I have the passion for masks, and am writing a book about them, I find myself saying "why NOT a documentary?" :) I have pretty ambitious plans for what I would like to do, and it would involve a fair amount of travel, research, ect-but I'm slowly figuring it out, because if I COULD get the funding, it would be a project that would probably become my life for a short period of time, but I'd absolutely LOVE to do it.

Back