• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Documentary on Civil Disobedience

I am currently trying to work on a documentary about civil disobedience but I am having trouble finding a specific direction. I have been filming the local University of California protests (Santa Cruz) in which students, teachers, and workers have blocked off he campus. I have been watching the film Eyes on the Prize to get some ideas. What is a specific aspect or point of view I can take on civil disobedience?

With such a big topic I think your right in needing to get specific. My only advice would try to either be original on an older concept or shed light on something new and interesting. I'm thinking there could be something with the way younger generations are getting their voices heard through todays new mediums (the internet, youtube, facebook, twitter ect.) and there effectiveness. It seems like rally's are still in as far as these thing go but as far as garnering support, bringing people together, organizing and such I am sure there are different approaches out there. I don't know, just some thoughts. I don't know how hard this would be to make interesting, frankly, but with some research there may or not be something there.

I am currently trying to work on a documentary about civil disobedience but I am having trouble finding a specific direction. I have been filming the local University of California protests (Santa Cruz) in which students, teachers, and workers have blocked off he campus. I have been watching the film Eyes on the Prize to get some ideas. What is a specific aspect or point of view I can take on civil disobedience?

I don't think you can do a documentary on "civil disobedience".
To me, that sounds like trying to do a documentary on "earth" or "love", etc.

Definitely get more specific.

Pick one protest. Look at one group of people
Who are they? What are they protesting against?

Follow their story, with the theme being civil disobedience.

Add: A second thought for you. Perhaps you can follow a couple/few groups of people.
Compare/contrast their stories.

Then you really can center your story around the topic of civil disobedience.

But my first point still stands.
The story will only move along when it follows real people with real points of view.

Last edited:
Back