Documentary ideas

Hi everyone,
I know I've talked about some ideas I've had for documentaries, but I've thought of one just now, and at this point I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I've thought about doing a documentary about the Apollo 11 mission, but using primarily footage and audio from NASA which is in the public domain, in order to make an "as-it-happened" style film, something akin to experiencing what it was like during that time. However, since there have been so many documentaries done on this subject, I'm just not sure if it's even a good idea to do something like this. I know that there is a lot of footage easily available through public domain, but it just seems like I feel like I have to do something with it, like I have to make something useful with it. I just don't know what to do here. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to know. Thanks.

Sounds like a creative idea! You certainly have all that domain footage to work with-not just NASA, but general audio and video footage of the general culture of the time, various towns and other footage to give it an "all around feel"

Sounds like you'd be doing some heavy research though! :)

Yeah, now that you mention it, maybe it would be a good idea. Obviously, you're right, there would be a lot of research involved, but I'm sure that I could make this happen, with whatever is openly available. I've been fascinated by the whole event ever since the 40th anniversary of the mission back in 2009, and I could probably do this as a way of demonstrating the possibilities of what could be done with things that are freely available to filmmakers for little cost. I'll certainly seek out whatever I can find. This could be fun.

NASA doesn't show everything, only the positive stuff. They would have covered up the Challenger disaster if they could have. Their mania for heavy censorship to uphold their public image is what led to the moon landing conspiracy theories.

If you really want to do a NASA doc, how about focusing on what they're going to be doing after the end of the shuttle program? The last shuttle launch ever is July 8, 2011.

I know, I've heard about that. I just didn't quite understand what the last poster meant at first. Honestly, I don't really know how I could do a documentary about NASA's plans after the shuttle program has ended, or if it would even be possible at this point. Logistically, I'm not sure if that would even be possible, because I'm assuming that this would involve travel and setting up interviews. I'm not really set up to do that kind of stuff at this point, though.

NASA doesn't show everything, only the positive stuff. They would have covered up the Challenger disaster if they could have. Their mania for heavy censorship to uphold their public image is what led to the moon landing conspiracy theories.

If you really want to do a NASA doc, how about focusing on what they're going to be doing after the end of the shuttle program? The last shuttle launch ever is July 8, 2011.

Also, since they coordinate with the military, they often use the "national security' stamp when they want to censor something.

I've decided to go ahead with the Apollo 11 project, but basically focusing on the day of the moon landing itself, and combining all the footage that does exist, including shots of people watching it on TV, with the communications audio from the astronauts to Mission Control, and other footage. I already edited the opening sequence, set to portions of JFK's speech about space travel in 1962 and with footage from the day of liftoff, from the astronauts heading toward the ship, the spectators, and then liftoff. I think that this would maybe give the film more focus and give the viewer a sense of what it was like to experience that event. Maybe that might work...

LA isn't that far from Texas or Florida. Just start sending emails to anyone and everyone you can find an address for at NASA. Call them up if you can find phone numbers. Keep pestering them until you find someone who's willing to talk or someone who will hook you up with a good interview subject, like a retired astronaut or scientist etc.

It's not impossible but it does require you getting off your butt and as the folks at Nike would say, JUST DO IT. Patience and persistence.

Good luck!

Thanks, everyone, but that's really not in my plans as of now. I just wanted to make this particular film because it was a subject I found fascinating and because of what could be done with the materials that already exist, and to capture the experience of that event. Thanks, though.

I've decided that instead of a documentary, I would like to make a music video instead, with the footage set to an original song about the mission. Are there any composers here who might be interested in writing one? I'm thinking that it would be something in the singer-songwriter vein, nothing really big-sounding musically. Would anyone be interested in helping me out on this? Please let me know. Thanks.

Back