Do you think listening to music is disrespectful?

Hello there ,

4 days ago I shot the first scene for my bigger project which I plan to submit to film festivals . It is mysterious short film and while I was writing it I was listening to an amazing soundtracks from films such as Hugo , Super 8 , etc .

I went to the set and I wanted to try something because music always brings my imagination .

I got my earphones and I was listening to music the entire time on set . Of course it wasn't loud so I could perfectly understand everybody and I had no problem what so ever .

However it was just amazing I came up with so many ideas , every shot was such an inspiration to do , I have no idea what happen but it was a true pleasure !

I am not working with professional crew but I was wondering if such thing is disrespectful and unprofessional which I think it is , but I never felt so confident in shooting a short .

That's really silly question but ... Thanks .

You mean you were directing with headphones in the whole time?!

It's certainly unorthodox. I think most experienced crew would probably just laugh at you, seems quite a pretentious thing to do. Could you not just listen to it during breaks?

Well I have only one of the earphones in my ear and it is so small and with my clothing it is barely visible .

I could not listen to music at all and this would not be a problem but I've never experienced such inspiration during filming just by the quiet sound of John Wiliams score in my ears and I was just wondering :)

i think as long as they never have to say what or repeat themselves, then they should be grateful that your process brings a higher value to their work!

I wouldn't be giving demands, directing actors, or shooting while listening to music. There may be an audio issue or a messed up line. I don't think it's disrespectful, but I think there's more of a chance that things will go wrong. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it, but it's your choice.

Given it inspires you, that's a big plus. Better work = happier crew and talent.

Also you're only doing it with one headphone, not two and they're discrete. Another plus.

I second what sfoster wrote:

i think as long as they never have to say what or repeat themselves, then they should be grateful that your process brings a higher value to their work!

But ChimpPhobiaFilms's right too. If could cause problems so be very careful.

Back