• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Do you think I should write this short film?

PLOT: Some Christians decide to kill gays at harvard university in their celebration.....

Is this politically correct? I hope/think I can write it cool (if smart is still cool). Expect it so, anyone giving advice? Should I write in English? Or not? What about this specific short film candidate/idea-now???

Thanks!

Subject matter aside, English doesn't seem to be your strong suit...so I'd say no, do not write this in English.

Besides that, even the most insensitive or controversial stuff can be handled well.

If not in English, this is not good idea for a Persian film I think... Because of culture difference, & I can't share it here, too. I postpone it & think of a Persian short... Agree?

Thanks!

Is there a reason why it takes place at Harvard? Is there a reason (other than anti-gay bias) for the killings? And are you aiming for a horror or a thriller?

As indicated above, controversial material can make a great script if you write it well.

I guess it is hard to let any gay themed movie play in Iran and make it there.
The official 'policy' is that there are no gays in Iran.

On the other hand: a Kenian movie about lesbians has been made, was boycotted by the government (it has been screened around the world already), but a judge lifted the ban. It premiered in sold out venues.

So, if the goal is to tackle a taboo be fearless yet carefull.

And yes you should write it.
Just to see how it turns out.

Your killers need to be part of a sub demographic .

They cant be ordinary christians or its too politically incorrect.
For example if they were neo-nazi that are born again christians or something crazy like that.

edit: or a scene that demonstrates their extremist philosophies like stoning a whore to death
something that separates them from normal christians that will be watching your film

Last edited:
Is there a reason why it takes place at Harvard? Is there a reason (other than anti-gay bias) for the killings? And are you aiming for a horror or a thriller?

As indicated above, controversial material can make a great script if you write it well.

Christians in US & their impact on Harvard U, no other reason really...

It seems that you are passionate about that specific topic. If you are passionate about writing a great story, just change the Christians and maybe also the gays and start typing.

PLOT: Some Christians decide to kill gays at harvard university in their celebration.....

Is this politically correct? I hope/think I can write it cool (if smart is still cool). Expect it so, anyone giving advice? Should I write in English? Or not? What about this specific short film candidate/idea-now???

Thanks!

Whatever you write, have a strong motivation for the characters why they are doing it, in this case, why they kill gays at Harvard University. If there is a strong and (not necessarily, universally) accepted logic/reason behind it, it will work.

I wouldn't worry about whether it is politically correct or not. These days many topics are taboos and however way you write it, you cannot convince everyone. Write what you truly believe in and write it well.

Story takes the language whatever place you set the story. If Harvard, yes, then English.

My English is poor and it is hurting my writing ambitions. Last time I decided to write with a co-writer, he could not even understand when I was trying to describe the movement and even some dialogue.... And he was writing something I didn't mean. Otherwise, I had some stories that I loved so much.......

Thanks!

Back