Do you really need a lot of people to make a marketable film?

The first would be:

delicious food to keep everyone energized, happy to be there, and to possibly compensate for a shooting schedule that will likely be very rushed...

...the first "luxury" I would want is a talented DP with a better mind for creating a beautiful image in-camera than I. The second is an audio expert, with a better mind for capturing clean sound...

I would reverse that. Then I would give equal priority to audio post and the editor. But that's no surprise coming from me, is it?

i've learned if you cast really skinny girls for you film, you don't have to feed them. they never eat anyway, just vodka

I agree with everyting that has been replied. However
Check out Shane Carruth's films "Primer" and "Upstream Color".

He made the former doing almost everything himself (writing, directing, acting, editing, being the DP, operating cameras for some shots, sound design composing, etc) and on a budget of $7000/$8000 (apparently he managed to negotiate cheaper camera rentals by explaining that El Mariachi had the same budget, and therefore, it was impossible for cameras to be this expensive). It is not an amazing film (it is very good), but for the way he made it, it's incredible.

Upstream Color had a more significant crew, but he still took on a huge number of roles, and it is an incredible film (he also had a real budget for it).

You need to find the pod-cast interview with Mr. Carruth (posted elsewhere on this board) where he describes shooting Primer, and how trying to adhere to that budget because of Rodriguiz's book was akin to shooting himself in the foot.

Might not want to cite as an example a process that director himself called detrimental to the film. ;) FWIW: I loved both films. Upstream is a much more mature work from a craft perspective, but Primer is very strong in several ways despite the problems of craft.

As far as the OP. He sounds angry. Why so mad at movies Mr. OP?

Last edited:
I agree with Alcove. If you're severely limited in what kind of crew you can get, I think top priority should go to audio, and I think there's a logical reason for that.

I'm sure there might be some exceptions, but for the most part, us filmmakers tend to be visually-oriented first, no? That doesn't mean that a filmmaker can't become an expert in audio, or at least very well educated. But at least in the beginning, I think most of us tend to be visually minded.

So, if you're forced to wear more than just one hat, shouldn't you choose the one that you're naturally best at, and hire a pro for the one that you're not as good at? If forced to choose between sound guy and DP, I choose to hire sound guy.

Back