Do you ever get annoyed with people that need like a 3-4 week notice for the shoot?

Like when people with massively busy schedules need around a month's notice of when the shooting day will be for your film. That's why I generally, give everyone a week's notice and go after less busy cast members.

There are a couple of factors that stop a 3-4 week notice from happening. Even a 2 week notice (14 days) is pushing it.

-Weather issues. You need at least 10 days to see the forecast for your shoot. Do you want to just shoot on a Severe Thunderstorm with possible tornado warnings?

-People dropping out of the project at the last minute. People generally drop out on the last minute (Either their neck broke while reading your script or work won't let them have any days off. You know the excuses) and you need extra time to fill their roles. Especially in the final week before shoot day.

It's virtually impossible, unless you're one of those filmmakers that have the "Let's just get it over with, we'll figure all the issues out in post-production" type attitude. Most people that are committed enough, will drop deadlines like flies to be in your movie if they really are interested.

Do people like this ever annoy you?

Last edited:
Weather issues. You need at least 10 days to see the forecast for your shoot. Do you want to just shoot on a Severe Thunderstorm with possible tornado warnings?

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Cover sets for light weather issues. Postpone if the apocalypse occurs.

People dropping out of the project at the last minute. People generally drop out on the last minute (Either their neck broke while reading your script or work won't let them have any days off. You know the excuses) and you need extra time to fill their roles. Especially in the final week before shoot day.

I rarely have this happen on productions that are well organized with material the cast and crew are excited to shoot. I've seen it repeatedly on projects that were chaotic, disorganized with poor material being shot. Perhaps there's a correlation. Cast and crew typically appreciate a great script, well organized, professionally run productions with great communication and great people.

Perhaps, part of the issue could be the unreliable people your choosing?

Do people like this ever annoy you?

As sfoster said, the busy people are often the most experienced and talented. They are often worth the wait.

yeah, it's nice to work like that, be able to put something together with last minute notice, i do it when i can, but damn, i gotta disagree with you, hell i have my next 4 months planned, and in comparison to friends and acquaintances in the field, i'm not in demand! i know people who i can't even get ahold of within a week, let alone shoot something with! producing a film is a big project that almost always takes more than just a few weeks...

not to mention, my priorities involve things outside of film production, just like many others, i'm coordinating vacations, family stuff, concert going, day jobs, other freelance work, whatever, it can be a lot. even an impeccable script with an incredible team doesn't mean that i drop everything to shoot next week, there are more important things (that have been planned for longer). i'm sure actors and crew (often working for little to no pay on passion projects in the indie community) feel like since they're helping you out, you need to be flexible with them

and i have to entirely agree with everything sweetie said, as is common

Back