• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

do we need a location release?

we're editing our film and notice that some of the footage we shot in north hollywood features the front of a local business. the business is not the subject in the film nor is it referred to. a car simply drives in front of it. my question is, do we need to get a location release from that business in order to show the storefront in the film? we had a permit to film on the street in north hollywood, so we were allowed to be there. i'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with the laws that surround this sort of thing?

thanks in advance for the help!

Go get one anyway to CYA, and don't let them know you've shot yet. And if they deny, then just don't worry about it, it should fall under fair use (like a Ford car driving by, and not a close-up of a Ford logo).

Just my opinion: You got the permit and the background is incidental. You didn't shoot in their shop. You can always apply a blur filter to logos, and background specifics. Heck, you can After Effects in a different sign and rooftop.

The problem with alerting them and seeking a release is that they will assume that they have leverage to use against you. More than most places (other than New York), location owners in LA are saavy about film crews and try to get money out of filmmakers. Even for shooting in alleys. Lucky you, the shots are done.

I haven't seen your footage, but I think you would be fine as long as the original store sign is not prominently featured.

Last edited:
Back