• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Do they make lenses like this?

This is probably a dumb question but, I have a fight scene to shoot, but in the room of the location I want to shoot part of it in, it's a very tight space. The camera might be too close in some of the shots I want to do. The only solution would be too shoot most of it, from above, but that would be too much from above. The lens is a 18-55mm zoom. Do they make a lense that can see in a way, that's scaled back further from where the camera is? Like one that can zoom back to like negative 30mm?

Any canon DSLR camera built in the next few years is still going to be EF or EF-S, and because of their design EF-S lenses will not work on any full frame camera.

Even their high end cinema lenses are offered in an EF mount. Same with Zeiss Compact Primes, even the RED Scarlet has an EF mount option available. It's a widely popular and solid mount.

In the more expensive digital cinema cameras and film, the PL is the most popular. You can adapt PL (or rather install an entirely new mount) on most crop sensor DSLRs too.

Okay thanks. Is there any reason to buy a film frame sensor camera in the future, do they serve any real advantage, that's worth having?
The person at the camera store told me that that the pixels are bigger and better on a full frame, but I was told on here that that guy was just trying to sell cameras, and that it makes no difference, so I assume that's still true.

Last edited:
In photos, full frame Canon is about 21mp, crop is about 18. You get a wider field of view with full Frame and a more shallow DOF. 5D works a bit better in low light, letting you do closer to 1600 ISO where the crop lets you do about 800 with what most consider acceptable noise.

The debate/comparison had gone on since the 7D came out and was the first DSLR giving th 5D a run for it's money in video mode, at lower costs, and with each new camera release new articles with pros and cons pop up. Lots of threads here, hundreds or maybe thousands of other sites with info. Google it!

Thanks I read about the noise being better in full frame. Is it worth paying the extra cash for a full frame though, since you can remove noise in post? I couldn't find any articles on that. I asked before if there was a difference between sensors and I was told that it was nothing noticeable. Now I wish I would have known the noise thing before if removing it in post is inferior.

Last edited:
Thanks I read about the noise being better in full frame. Is it worth paying the extra cash for a full frame though, since you can remove noise in post? I couldn't find any articles on that. I asked before if there was a difference between sensors and I was told that it was nothing noticeable. Now I wish I would have known the noise thing before if removing it in post is inferior.

You'd be far better off investing your time and money into lighting gear and lenses, and learning how to use them. If you can't get a good picture out of a 550D then you're not going to be able to get one out of a 5D.

True, but I'm wondering for now if I should buy EF lenses and a lens adapter, rather than buying EF-S lenses, only to have them become useless if I buy a bigger DSLR. Tough one. Right now I guess I won't get any more types of lenses till I figure it out, and just practice more with mirrors and what not.

True, but I'm wondering for now if I should buy EF lenses and a lens adapter, rather than buying EF-S lenses, only to have them become useless if I buy a bigger DSLR. Tough one. Right now I guess I won't get any more types of lenses till I figure it out, and just practice more with mirrors and what not.

You can mount EF lenses on any modern Canon SLR without an adapter, the only restriction is with EF-S lenses. It's really not that complicated.

Back