Do they make camera support gear that can do this?

I am looking for two things right now. One is the ability to hook the camera on the front of a car and shoot while driving. But not just that, I want to spin the camera vertically, making the car look like it's rolling, but a convincing car roll spin. I have come up with some things on my own, but no success since I cannot get the spin to look right. That one is pretty out there, but this other thing I want is not so much:

Do they make sliders where you unhook the head of my tripod, then put the slider on the stand, then put the head back on with the camera attached to the head, and slide that? Thanks.

Okay thanks I'll try it out. But if I shoot at 60p then I got 720p, which I would have to mesh with 1080p footage. Sometimes it's noticeable, sometimes not. I will practice something of that sort.

Wheat's idea sounds pretty killer, I want to try it haha.

We've been over the 1080p thing plenty, I till say downsize it all to 720 if some of your shots are. Makes everything easier.

Finally, we did a slow mo car spin/explosion that was a mix or practical and CG. It turned out ok. CG mixed with practical can go a long way for sure.

https://vimeo.com/31263479

Cool! That looks pretty good! I am doing practice scenes to want to meet industry standards though, and it seems that 1080p is the industry standard, and anything less, it could cause a movie to not be picked up. So I thought maybe I would do all my practice for 1080p footage, and other things to meet the standard. I could be wrong, but I have not seen a movie released in 720 in a long time. Can I ask how much it cost to shoot yours and how much the VFX cost?

Last edited:
I think it cost maybe $150 to shoot to feed everyone and a prop or two? We owned pretty much everything else from prior shoots and borrowed other stuff. The only CH out team didn't do was the actual model and animation of the SUV. We put and ad out, found a new team that had done a lot of 100% 3D stuff and wanted to work on blending plates with 3D. They liked our wmearlier stuff so we teamed up together. The did the 3D, we did all the compositing.

Like wheat said, at this level and especially for effects work nobody will bat an eye at 720p. Vimeo even automatically converts 1080 stuff when you upload it to 720 because it's easier for the viewer. You have to dig through a menu and often restart the upload to get 1080. Practice with the stuff you have. You need slow-mo? Practice with 720. When you're working on a feature that your practiced and proven skills have helped to secure funding, team members and generally make possible you can then rent a FS700, RED or even a Phantom and do some killer slow mo at 1080p - 4K. You'll know a bit more about what you're doing at that point.

Besides, if you really want to argue industry standard you need to be mastering in AT LEAST 2k for legit theater distribution. A t2i can't do that anyway.

Yeah that's true, but I figure it's still closer to 2K than 720. Even though most theaters project in SD, I want to practice making things, in order to work towards, hopefully making a feature and getting DVD distribution. And those industries seem to want 1080p cause of blue ray demand.

Back