Do I need an upgrade?

Let's set the record straight. When hold to the standars of many on this forum I'm just starting with this whole "I would love to make a movie" phase of my life. I really am, and I think it's a step in the right direction, since little in my life keeps me awake at nights in the same way as this.
So, to no surprise, I haven't shot anything serious. Yes, light tests. Yes, VFX test. But nothing with a stated plot, or even a script.
The thing is that I currently have an SX20is. My little Canon beauty.
You might say that for now that's more than enough, but I have a problem. Here where I live, buying a DSLR is not possible right now, with prices that are at best illogical, at worst, just a sick joke. A friend of mine is coming to vistit, and I have the chance to get a camera. I had my mind on a Canon 550D with the kit lens.
So buying a DSLR is prette much a now or never (or much, much later). Will the upgrade, -wheter it be in image quality, features, control over the final image- will be noticeable enough to encourage the expense?
I know that gear does not make the movie, but should I keep my SX20 for now? I love shooting stills too, so a DSLR would be a nice buy.

On a whole other subject, should I get the kit lens, or go with just the body, and get some other lens?
I don't have much to spend, 800 bucks, being the price of 550d+kit lens, is my limit +- $50.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
I'd hold off from making the purchase, for the time being. Just start making movies. Now. In fact, we've got a little mini-festival planned here on Indietalk, for April 1st. You should show your first film to us then.

The reason I'd hold off is because, in my opinion, there are a great deal of things that an aspiring filmmaker should focus on learning on their first films, and technical aspects are not amongst them. Just something as simple as figuring out where to put the camera takes practice. So, start practicing. And it doesn't matter which camera you use, so keep the one you've got.

By the time you've gotten past the basics of filmmaking, and you're wanting a nicer camera to match your skills, the 550D will be obsolete. The DSLR marketplace will be changing, rapidly, concerning filmmakers.

I'd love to see what this mini-festival turns into with the net talent we've got here!

I thought the same at first. It would be like buying a Harley withouth even knowing if I can handle a bike. But what made me hesitate is the fact that it could be a long time for me to be able to get the cam. I'll try to shoot smething in the next couple of days, you know, using proper lighting an audio recording, to try out this camera for real.

Though, my birthday is coming up and I don't usually buy stuff for myself....AND I could sell the camera at US retail price here, and getting my money back in less than a day, in case it's too much.

Wow, my brain is full of f---.

So, then, I don't need the camera, but let's say that I have experience or that I buy it for someone who has it. Should I get it? Will I notice the change?

EDIT: My god...I'm turning into that gy that ask for advice and then ignores it. Shoot me. Or something.

Well, I don't think I'm the world's authority on this, so it's perfectly reasonable for you to go another direction than I recommend.

There will definitely be a difference with the 550D. First of all, I seriously doubt that camera you've got allows as much control during video mode. I noticed something about continuous auto focus. I sure hope it allows you to turn that off. And it's likely (though I don't know) that you won't be able to control exposure, ISO, and all that stuff, the same way you would on a 550D. So, yeah, you'll like the 550D better.

Also, the 550D ain't no Harley. You can handle it. All I meant is that you don't need it. Not yet.

Do you know how to shoot a scene that will cut together well? A lot goes into that, and it requires practice. And your camera ain't gonna help you get there. It will likely be at least a year before you start to feel like your camera is holding you back. You've got plenty of stuff to learn and practice.

There's no atofocus switch. It's always on and it's a nag. More than once I've had to re-shoot stuff cause something moved.
And manual settings are a no no. You can set focus before shooting but no while doing so (Normal-macro-supermacro). No ISO control. It does have exposure compensation, but no aperture nor shuter speed control.

And, by knowing, yes, in theory...I've read a lot onthe subject. On the other hand I shot "tests" that turned out quite OK, with a certain "consistency" without those obvious cuts with missing frames or characters standing still waiting for a scene to start.

I do know how to shoot and cut a scene with a lot of movment, for fluid motion. An image says more than a thousand words, so I'll try to upload something later when I'm not tethering from my phone :lol:

Don't get me wrong, this camera is great. It has a lot to offer, and I do feel like this would be a premature upgrade, but I don't want to miss on the opportunity.

This is a helpful forum after all. I spent a great deal of time browsing topics, always too lazy to sign up for an account, but I have to say, having access to a whole movie making community has proven useful! Cheers.

Last edited:
Yeah, just saw an old post of yours where you said something about it.

So, now, let's say I get the camera. I would have no money for extra lenses for a long time. Should I stick with the kit lens, or should I buy only the body and get somehting else?

If you can only get one lens, I like the kit. A lot of people recommend the 50mm prime (same price as the kit), so that you can get shallow depth of field. I say screw that. Personally, I cannot do without a wide lens, and the kit gets you 18mm, plus a little versatility to boot. Shallow depth of field isn't going to save the world, you can get the prime later.

I'm not to fond of shallow DOF actually, at least not in video, without a reason. It's just another resource to tell a story.
If I get it, I'll get it with the kit then.
Thanks, that helped a lot.

I'd say, if you can afford it, get it... I know those import tariffs are killers. If you have the funding, do it. This will allow you to avoid the costs and as you said: if it ends up not being for you, you can sell it for a profit and come out ahead ;)

Learn with that beast on auto - then learn how to control it manually.

If, as you say, you can easily sell it for the retail price if you don't like it I say go for it. It may be a premature upgrade, and I'm sure some of the basics will take a lot of getting used to if you haven't used an SLR before, but forcing yourself to learn new technical skills is never a bad thing. Do you need it? Probably not, but I'm sure you'll enjoy using it and hey - we all like new toys :)

I should make my mind today, since is the lat day he has to go get it for me.
I'm just woried that the kit lens has an angle that is too narrow.
I'm happy if I can take a family portrait (8 people, in let's say 6ft from the first one to the last of them) standing +-10ft away.

I would check out the CHDK firmware. It enables a ton of features that are already in the chipsets of the powershots but that are disabled for marketing/product management reasons.

It's free and I expect it will extend the useful life of your SX20. If nothing else you'll get lots of cool still photo features like shooting in raw mode, live histograms, zebra stripes, etc.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/SX20

Back