• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Do I have to show a 'dissolve' in order for the audience to understand this?

I am editing a project that some filmmaking associates and I made. However, there is one scene change that our test viewers found jarring. An actor has a beard in the scene, then it cuts to the next scene and the beard is gone. They asked why doesn't he have a beard all of a sudden?

However, the next scene takes place at least a day later I would think, and the actor is wearing different clothes, so I thought the audience would be smart enough to assume he would have had time to shave in between.

However, they find this jarring cause in one scene he has it, then cut to the next scene, and it's gone. I could show a dissolve, but their is narration over the scene, and I feel the dissolve would be emotionally inappropriate to the mood and pacing, since the character is narrating what his plan is to the others, as the scene plays out.

Do I have to show a dissolve, or is there another way I could make it less jarring to the audience? Thanks!

What's the real reason for him not having a beard? Bad scheduling on yur part? And what do you mean by a beard? A full on beard? Or just a bit of stubble?

That kind of lack of continuity may be difficult to get around. Viewers aren't likely to assume he's had a shave. Why would they? Why would the guy have had a shave? That's the sort of gap that we shouldn't expect our audience to have to fill in.

I'm not sure a dissolve's going to fix your problem either.

It's about a half grown beard, not a full one. Basically one of the actor's was sick with the flu, and even though she showed up, she couldn't run, which the scene required. So we decided to use the actors to shoot a flashback scene instead, that didn't require near as much physical movement, in order to make use of our time on set.

However, since the flashback scene was shot earlier than intended, and the male actor shaved for it, we then had to shoot the other scene, with him shaved which was not originally intended. But we didn't think it was a bid deal, since it only takes five minutes for a person to shave, and the thought the audience would buy it, as normal character behavior, as we cut from one scene to the next, where at least a day would have gone by. As to why would he had a shave, I thought it was normal. I have grown bears then decided to shave them. I have scene people come to work with a beard one day, then gone the next. So I thought perhaps they could fill it in. But if a dissolve will not fix this, is there anything I can do?

Last edited:
Insert shaving shot.
If he has no beard: cover the no-beard in foam and shave.
Dry face.
Put on shirt.
Eat banana.

Transition fixed.

But pace good be ruined :P

I think the pacing would severly be ruined if I did that. I don't know if the actor's hair would match. We wrapped up shooting already, and he got a hair cut for a different short film. I could see if it's grown back enough but again, I think it would severely ruin the pacing. But then again, Schindler's List had a shot of Schindler shaving before cutting to the next scene, and that worked, so maybe it's not so bad.

There are also other scenes that come later where he has the beard back, but those scenes take place in the fall instead of winter, so the audience can just assume that a few seasons have gone by.

Last edited:
Ok, you f$^#ed up with not thinking about the order of shooting.

Improvising is ok, if you keep continuity in mind.

And you are actually 1) surprised and 2) thinking a dissolve can fix it?

Does he wear different clothes?

It is a different day in the story, right?

Fade to black.

Sequence with details only.
Alarm going of.
Squeeze orange juice.
Put jam on bread.
Shave chin.

Next scene.

LOL, I realise I just summarised the title sequence of Dexter season 2 till 8 :P
(Only the alarm is missing)
In my mind the music is playing... :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSjvLWHgaPI

Don't copy it.
But feel free to be inspired.
Cut it faster like a snatch seuence :P

You will have to choose:
the beard f%$##up that 'jarrs' the audience.
Or a little sidetrack in pacing.
Make it tighter.

Okay thanks. I didn't start hearing these responses from viewers though until after the soundtrack was made and the edit was already considered locked, so we will have to get a new audio engineer to re do it for this new sequence I will be adding in. But if I can get one then it will work.

And yes, the actor does wear different clothes in each scene. For the future, I will not shoot scenes out of order, if it calls for hair or beards to be changed. I will just send the actors home and say sorry, we can't shoot a different scene instead, cause it will mess with continuity.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. Do you think in the future I should only do projects where the actors are available to get them done in a few days in a row? We have been shooting on weekends only cause a lot of people have those days off, but the problem with that is, people's hair changes a lot, and it can be hard, even for a hair stylist to try to keep it consistent.

Are shooting on weekends only a bad idea in general?

I would almost scrap the project. It's a shame, and it sucks, but you want the world to see you at your best and if you put out something that you have had to come back and stick scenes into to fix, the audience will probably notice that they are being fed a film with patched over mistakes.

Consider this....you patch this film. You tell yourself it will be ok, because only a few people will see it anyway, and next time you will do better. You patch this film up, release it, and move on. A few months later someone wants to work with you and wants to see an example of your work. All you have to show is this film. They view it and quickly decide that it looks half assed, and they look elsewhere....(They do not think of all the time and effort to make it so their first thought would be..."If that were me I would be embarrassed to have released that...clearly this guy has no standards") Sorry to say that bud. I know that hurts.

OR

You swallow the disappointment, the wasted time and effort, you chalk it up to experience and you quietly bury your film. A few months later someone wants to work with you and asks for an example of your work. You explain that you did make a film, but it didn't meet your standards so you were not prepared to release it. You then go out and shoot some scenes etc that show that you do know how to structure shots. They can still see your skill, and will respect the fact that you had the maturity to see the blemishes on your own baby, and that you didn't want to distribute a half assed project.

Which one do you think will serve you better in the short and long term?

My advice...chalk it up to experience and bury the film.

Last edited:
So you think you're an editor now?

is there anything I can do?

It's likely that the jarring is from something else you did, but just in case you actually understood what was told to you:

Try Deleting the scene. See if it's really needed. Work out a way to put that information into another scene.
Transition to a different scene instead.
Use B Roll to ease the transition out and in.
Work out a solution.
Order a reshoot.
Ignore the error and hope that your audience will forgive the screw up.

Are shooting on weekends only a bad idea in general?

As with all film making. You do what you have to do.

I'm surprised you're getting suggestions to ditch the project etc without people even seeing the current cut. It may be a really simple fix, though, it may also not be fixable. That being said, there are usually very few things that cannot be fixed one way or another.

At this level, editing is as much about covering errors as it is about story telling.

As with everything, post the video or you'll have no option but to work it out yourself.

I would almost scrap the project. It's a shame, and it sucks, but you want the world to see you at your best and if you put out something that you have had to come back and stick scenes into to fix, the audience will probably notice that they are being fed a film with patched over mistakes.

Consider this....you patch this film. You tell yourself it will be ok, because only a few people will see it anyway, and next time you will do better. You patch this film up, release it, and move on. A few months later someone wants to work with you and wants to see an example of your work. All you have to show is this film. They view it and quickly decide that it looks half assed, and they look elsewhere....(They do not think of all the time and effort to make it so their first thought would be..."If that were me I would be embarrassed to have released that...clearly this guy has no standards") Sorry to say that bud. I know that hurts.

OR

You swallow the disappointment, the wasted time and effort, you chalk it up to experience and you quietly bury your film. A few months later someone wants to work with you and asks for an example of your work. You explain that you did make a film, but it didn't meet your standards so you were not prepared to release it. You then go out and shoot some scenes etc that show that you do know how to structure shots. They can still see your skill, and will respect the fact that you had the maturity to see the blemishes on your own baby, and that you didn't want to distribute a half assed project.

Which one do you think will serve you better in the short and long term?

My advice...chalk it up to experience and bury the film.

That's pretty drastic advice for not even having seen the footage.

H44, live and learn. What is your goal with this project?

The goal was to make something to show off in a portfolio, but if that doesn't work, then it was to get experience as well. Either or, is good, cause it was worth making just to learn. I asked people's opinions on if the scene was necessary, and they said that cutting it is worse, than the actor not having a beard. Cutting it will make less sense overall.

Plus I think cutting it will disappoint the actors and it's hard to find good actors, right? However, every time I think of using B roll, it feels like a random patch up. B roll just doesn't seem to work unless the scene was originally scripted for B roll to fit the tone of it.

I could throw in a stock footage shot of the sun quickly going down and coming back up, if that's better, I would just have to find a stock footage shot where the footage matches my footage, and looks like the same movie. But the audience may ask what was the point of that shot, since they did not need to know how much time went by, when a simple cut probably would have made more sense, story wise. Or they may take it as stylistic and not even question it.

I went to look at the same actor and he lost quite a bit if weight since, I don't think it will work to reshoot a shaving scene with him. Or maybe it will... I might ask around more and see what people say. Perhaps he could shave in sadness before cutting to the next scene, since it's suppose to be a sad scene next. Perhaps I could put a subtitle in the movie that reads 'ONE DAY LATER' or even 'ONE WEEK LATER'. Would this make it more clear to the audience that the character had time to shave? This may come off as unnecessary information, but Hitchcock actually subtitled the date and exact time of day, that the first scene in Psycho took place.

I made a similar mistake before, when shooting a previous short film. I wrote a scene where not everything was shown, cause I wanted to leave some details up to the audience's imagination, cause I thought that leaving it to their imagination would be more effective, rather than showing everything.

However, a lot viewers became confused. I would like to learn more about how smart the audience is and how you can leave to their imagination, and how much actually has to be shown and explained. Like for example, if you watch of movies from the 50s and before, a lot of scenes will start out with an actor, entering a building, showing him go inside. But nowadays, in movies, they are already inside the building, and they don't have to show them go in.

A lot of those older movies would also show dissolves, almost every time the location and time changed. This is really common in a lot of older TV shows as well from the time. But eventually directors realized that the audience was able to put it together, and not have be shown dissolves, or show actors enter a building, etc.

So I would to learn how smart the audience is, and where to draw the line and actually have to show something, and not miss it in shooting. So from now on, I've learned to not show shavings or haircuts, unless there is actually an emotional reason to the story to have them, and I should actually show them play out in a scene, is that right? I will plan a lot better in preproduction next time as well. Perhaps I could make it a rule that no scene will be shot out of order from flashbacks to preserve continuity, or I could even mark in the script which scenes are acceptable to shoot out or order, and which not, but this can be risky in case I think one can be, when cannot.

Last edited:
It is not about learning how smart the audience is, it is about shooting a scene that makes sense.

Don't make rules.
(That's the only rule you should make, because most of the time the rules you make seem to be based on misunderstanding the subject AND the past years have shown that rules only paralyse you.)
There are best practices.
One of them is making a schedule of the order in which the scenes and shots can (or must) be shot.

Btw, you actor may look different, but a detail of his chin might be something you can use, unless he turned from Jabba into Twiggy. (That would be really noticeable :P )

Why don't you show the 2 scenes?
That way we can really say something more usefull.

Last edited:
it's hard to find good actors, right?

It's hard for you to find good actors, and besides that.... good actors wouldn't have let this fiasco happen.

B roll just doesn't seem to work unless the scene was originally scripted for B roll to fit the tone of it.

There's a good chance that when it comes to editing, you just simply don't know what you're looking for to find an appropriate fix. That's fine, not everyone is made to edit. Fixing errors in editing can take a lot of time to come up with the correct fix. I don't think you have either the patience, fortitude or the mindset to make it work.

If I were you, I'd ask a very good editor to have a crack at fixing it.

If it were me and I was stuck on finding a fix, I'd ask a couple of highly regarded colleagues for their opinion on potential fixes.

I would just have to find a stock footage

Dead god no. Here comes your inane questions on how to match footage.

I will plan a lot better in preproduction next time as well. Perhaps I could make it a rule that no scene will be shot out of order from flashbacks to preserve continuity, or I could even mark in the script which scenes are acceptable to shoot out or order, and which not, but this can be risky in case I think one can be, when cannot.

These are not editing questions.

If you're considering learning how to edit, you need to realize this may be out of your control. You'll need to learn how to make imperfect material work.

A lot older movies also show dissolves

Who gives a shit? Are you trying to make an older movie?

There are quite powerful ways of implying continuity with sound, and therefore in comparison, of implying dis-continuity. How successful a solution to your problem this could be depends on the existing locations, shots and editing and therefore the available sound design options.

G

Okay thanks. I am not sure if I can use sound to imply continuity of someone not having his beard in the next scene though. Maybe.

I think I may have found a way. I can cut the scene in a way, in which the actor is never on screen during any of the shots, and it's always the people he is talking to. I just have to make it look natural, and it will involve some jump cutting, and having people be in different places, but I can make it look like the scene is skipping ahead, and the jump cutting intentionally stylistic maybe. I will experiment and see if that's the best solution...

For the next project, if I have flashback scenes, I will make sure that we shoot all those in a row so that the actors look different for them. If we cannot shoot a particular scene cause an actor shows up sick, I will not shoot a flashback to save time, I will just wait till all the other present day scenes are finished.

What about a movie like Batman Begins? Bruce Wayne has a beard in the opening few scenes when going to Henry Ducard's mountain home, but then all of a sudden, when training with Henry Ducard later, the beard has been shaven. When I first saw the movie, I was smart enough to assume he had shaven it, and it did not jar me out of it, so perhaps I could edit it like Batman Begins, but how did they do it, that is so different?

Last edited:
I am not sure if I can use sound to imply continuity of someone not having his beard in the next scene though.

Huh? How about using it to imply the dis-continuity of not having his beard in the next scene?

If the next scene (without the beard) appears continuous with the previous scene (with the beard) then the audience will find it strange that the beard has apparently disappeared. However, if the audience realises the next scene is not continuous, then the lack of a beard is maybe not so hard to swallow. How you use sound can imply either continuity or the opposite, dis-continuity!

G

What about a movie like Batman Begins? Bruce Wayne has a beard in the opening few scenes when going to Henry Ducard's mountain home, but then all of a sudden, when training with Henry Ducard later, the beard has been shaven. When I first saw the movie, I was smart enough to assume he had shaven it, and it did not jar me out of it, so perhaps I could edit it like Batman Begins, but how did they do it, that is so different?

He had a beard, because he had been wandering and travelling for a long time.
He shaved, because the training requires discipline.
The beard is one of things that is used as a visual sign for that change in attitude.

Back