Do I have to present this to an actor?

I am an indie filmmaker and I'm making an indie film and I'm casting an actor who is not known in the industry, really. Now this actor's manager asked how much the budget is, how much I'm paying the actor, why I'm shooting in a particular state and town, and I gave the manager all that information plus more. Now the manager wants to see a copy of the complete budget. Do I have to show this to the manager? I mean, this manager is not funding the project in any way and I am casting and paying the actor, it's not like the manager/actor is casting/paying me and so why should I have to present a copy of my full budget plan to this actor, especially seeing as though this is not some a-list actor, it's some actor who's basically unknown. So, do I have to present a copy of the full budget plan to this manager and his actor client? Shouldn't that be going to be people like film investors and film distributors, not film managers?

Now the manager wants to see a copy of the complete budget. Do I have to show this to the manager?
Of course not. It's your project. You don't have to show the manager
anything they ask for. If the request is a condition of accepting the
job and the manager tells you to show the budget or no actor; now
what do you do?

It's YOUR project. Do you stand on principle and tell the manager
that since they are not paying the actor you will not show them the
full budget? Or do you show the manager? It's entirely up to you.

I wouldn't tell them anything, your project budget*/location reasons do not affect the actor in anyway in doing his job.

If the manager has a problem with that his actor can go find another job, or another manager/agent.

* one cravat - if your paying the actor its reasonable for the manager to ask for proof you have the funds available to pay the actor, no one likes being stiffed. Not your entire budget but a letter from a bank or something saying you have enough funds to cover the cost of the actor's salary. But even that is a bit of stretch.

You don't. The manager may simply be doing due diligence to ensure the actor is involved with a project that looks like it's properly budgeted to get finished or looking to ensure that you're professional and have a project that is based in reality.

Was there any deferred amount or any royalty/points? If so, this could also be why.

You don't have to give him your entire budget. I wouldn't give mine out. But you could be courteous and give him rough percentages... like 30% to acting costs, 20% to equipment rental, 30% crew costs. Something along those lines. That way he feels like you aren't ignoring him, but you aren't exactly giving him more information than he really needs.

Look for a backup to replace the actor, if necessary.

I agree with GA to show the manager and no name actor who is in control.

Have you asked the manager for documentation showing what sort of star power this no name actor has with ratings or box office sales?

Push back on guys like that. No name actors come a dime a dozen.

I choose to deal directly with no name talent because most of them have lazy reps who can't find work for them. So, they leave the burden of finding work up to the talent themselves.

The manager is only interested in their own percentage.

Back