Disagreement over actors, experience and paying people

Hey guys, I'd like perspective on this please, 'cause this fight was intense and it's making me doubt what I'm doing. Sorry, but it's really, really long.

I've been developing my short film since last August and recently wondered if I'm taking advantage of student and volunteer actors if I don't pay them. So I asked a visual artist I respected for her opinion and she and an indie DJ tore me several new arseholes for thinking of taking advantage of artists who have bills to pay. They explained that, if I'm so desperate to make this film, just make it with family and friends or wait as long as it takes to save up and pay people properly for their time. Pay them or compensate every person with something of value to every person's particular principles. They also used that point to tell me that I'm in way over my head, out of my depth and seemed to insinuate that amateurs have no business planning short films etc.

They pointed out that I may as well have quality if I really want to make the film, so get proper equipment. I explained my plans and budget for quality control and after pushing quality they suddenly criticised my budget. Largely because I'd budgeted money for food and drink, for buying and hiring equipment and paying for the location rather than paying people. Plans to feed people were dismissed because if I can afford to feed people, I can afford to pay them. Just get people to bring their own food instead because people appreciate money more. Both explained to me that, as independent artists, people try to use amateur status to take advantage of them all the time and it ruins paid work opportunities for artists everywhere.

Here are my issues with what they said (and feel free to respectfully tell me to be realistic):

- I think it's a jerk move not to provide food and drink when asking people to spend hours working on something like a film or production. I also had a base awareness that providing food and drink was a given in filming and I want happy people on set

- The film is timing and current events sensitive. I'm making the film for me because it's a movie I'd like to see that doesn't currently have a Hollywood version. There are whispers a film like it might be made, and possibly soon-ish, but nothing concrete. If I wait too long I'm going to lose motivation, interest and enthusiasm from the volunteers and the reason for making the film in the first place

- To me, it's a jerk move to limit or insinuate that something like art or film should be limited to the trained and professional peoples of the world who have stacks of money to throw around. Everyone starts out somewhere or simply wants to have a hobby

- The sheer angst is super confusing for me because I've been a part of plays and productions that _I_ have paid for the privilege of performing in and all profits from performances went to keeping the companies going. Because they were amateur, passion based projects, I was cool with it and never expected anything anyway

- Even though I want to hire some gear and a location, I think that's normal and my production is simple, even for a first film. I don't see how that's over my head

- I was going to ensure that every person in the film gets a copy of the film that they can post to YouTube or Vimeo without monetisation (specified in the contracts). I won't be posting it online because the film is for me and it''l be such a bad film. Everyone else can use it for portfolios and exposure if they feel it's valuable enough for them.

Anyway, thanks for reading, would love to read what you have to say!

Not a cohesive one.

When you have a cohesive script, I'd love to take a peek.

I worked three years in banking

Over a decade in a small US multinational. It's where I developed my rudeness.

I have a mate who's been at the CBA for decades. Middle management. I swear, it'll kill him. Get out now while you still can. ;)

I'll stick to YouTube

I'd suggest waiting until you see what you have when you achieve picture lock. If it's better than expected and you believe it can win some awards, consider doing a short festival run. It can help you build your next teams if you decide to do it again.

I have a mate who's been at the CBA for decades. Middle management. I swear, it'll kill him. Get out now while you still can. ;)

Happy to say I got out a long time ago after the 1500th customer yelled at me for their 5 minute wait in the queue and how they had THINGS to do. And good luck to your mate, that would be sheer hell.

Originally posted by Sweetie:

I agree.

Will definitely consider it once the film is watchable, though right now it's very much a fan-film. And Sweetie, once the script is together I'd be happy for you to look it over.

Back