• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Dirt Bike Death Race

Hey everyone, I haven't been in the screening room for a while and thought I'd share my brand new, vfx extensive dirt biking video that just finished uploading today.

It was shot with a rebel t3i and edited with adobe premiere and after effects, in addition we used stock footage from videocopilot's action essentials 2 for the vfx. It took a long time and I'm pretty happy with it.

Make sure to watch it in HD, and please give me some feedback or your thoughts.

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy6UBlhkfyc

Not bad! There were some overexposed scenes, but nothing to bad. Enjoyed it.
Do you have a stabilizer for your camera? If not, its worth considering!

Not bad! There were some overexposed scenes, but nothing to bad. Enjoyed it.
Do you have a stabilizer for your camera? If not, its worth considering!

Yeah it was my first time shooting on the t3i and I had the aperture open all the way and no I don't have a stabilizer but I'm getting one soon :)

Hi, Paul -

Wow.

That.
Was.
A LOT of work on your behalf.
Seriously. Great effort.

How many hours did it take for you guys just to shoot all of that?

Okay... Music was generally okay to fine.

VFX were pretty darn good.

Better explosions and fire than most of what I see done on AE. If I had to nit-pick: the smoke (of all things) looked a smidge off. I dunno.

The planes you did a good job on.

The pre-death race until the countdown was a bit long.
I would have like to have seen the bikers take off in the diagonal split screen (which was kinda cool).

Story logic is half-brain dead: They shoot the mini-biker but don't start shooting at each other, many times they're twenty feet behind each other but aren't shooting each other in the back, when machine gun runs out of ammo dude just stays still to get shot, etc. So... whatever.

Both the the sand dune sequence at 2:30 and the AR15 scene have bullets kicking up sand/dirt NOT where any sensible shooter would be aiming. For the sand dune just relocate the up-sprays to shoulder and head height, delete it entirely for the AR15 scene because the shooter would be aiming at center mass (not at tire/dirt contact) sending bullets unseen into the field and treeline in background.

@ 3:24 - 3:28 "Red" enters from screen-left before rounding a 90° turn away from the camera, followed by "Blue" performing largely the same turn.
In THE SOCIAL NETWORK there's a cool similar scene where Fincher shoots Eisenberg running towards the camera on the sidewalk, camera pans left to follow Eisenberg rounding a 90° turn away from the camera. Trick seems to be to have the camera at the intersection of the two lines but have the action make a wide round just shy of that to pass in front of the camera's position.

Just some stuff to try.

GL

Ray

Last edited:
Heh, looks like fun. :cool:

Camerawork was all herky-jerky.

When the screen "jumps" as the bombs land & explode... was that done in post or while shooting?

Been thinking about picking up one of those Video Copilot DVDs.

I had to watch it without sound (yeah, I know, right? ROC watching without sound? wtf?)

I'll watch it later on - I'm finishing up some stuff before my next project.

But I liked the rack focusing you did!! I don't see that a lot in indie films or even beginner films, but I liked it a lot.

How do you like your T3i? I get mine tomorrow - I'm pumped!

Heh, looks like fun. :cool:

Camerawork was all herky-jerky.

When the screen "jumps" as the bombs land & explode... was that done in post or while shooting?

Been thinking about picking up one of those Video Copilot DVDs.

Yeah i deff need to get a steady cam, and the fact that I was filming while dirt biking didn't help the stability either.

The "jumps" were done while shooting and I motion tracked the explosions to stay glued to the ground.

Check ebay for the video copilot dvds, thats where I got mine.

I had to watch it without sound (yeah, I know, right? ROC watching without sound? wtf?)

I'll watch it later on - I'm finishing up some stuff before my next project.

But I liked the rack focusing you did!! I don't see that a lot in indie films or even beginner films, but I liked it a lot.

How do you like your T3i? I get mine tomorrow - I'm pumped!

Glad you liked it!

And I love the T3i! It produces superb video quality and its fairly inexpensive compared to some videocameras that quality isn't much better. I'm still learning about exposure, iso, shutterspeed, etc. and since this was my first time with the cam it was a little over exposed sometimes but it was a learning experience.

oh btw, nothing is more satisfying then opening the sealed box of the t3i :lol:

Yeah i deff need to get a steady cam, and the fact that I was filming while dirt biking didn't help the stability either.

The "jumps" were done while shooting and I motion tracked the explosions to stay glued to the ground.

Check ebay for the video copilot dvds, thats where I got mine.

Now I know why you're having overheating problems. DSLR's are just not good event cams. Great b-roll cams at an event, but they're not workhorses for continuous shooting.

Cool work, though. :yes:

Those SFX are pretty sweet. Though, I'll agree that the shaky-cam was a bit much.

I also enjoyed watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXwPatpo4ko

Back