Directors style

Hi,

I have always wondered what people mean when they talk about a film directors style of directing. Can someone explain what that is supposed to mean?

Thanks,

BWC

I tend to think movie production as a creative collaboration. I have had discussions with screenwriters on other sites who seem to totally abdicate script issues to the director and actor. For me, I convey what strikes me as important to understanding context and allow that in the actual realization, the actor and director (and other creative crew) will add or modify the elements as needed but they have a sense of flow. As a scriptwriter, I've lay a solid structure and context for the director and actor.

I haven't directed a movie but I have had stage directing experience, albeit limited. When I directed, I had to balance the ability of the actors with the props at hand. This also meant modifying elements. I picture the director like an orchestra conductor, the music was written but s/he guides the players into realizing the pacing and interaction of the tones. The director is the audience to the actors. Actors can't see themselves from the outside. A good director sees what plays well for the audience and coaxes out that performance. A good eye for comedy can be different from a good eye for suspense or horror. I'm guessing that sensibility in some way translates to style.

At a certain level of attainment, directors can choose what pictures they choose to shoot. At that point, they have found a genre/style which they recognize what pleases their audience. In shooting, they know instinctively what they like/don't like and it closely mirrors the box office audience (hopefully). And the industry as a whole begins to 'play it safe'. That is the strong appeal of indie films and new directors.

Just my opinion and observation.

Watch a few Terry Gilliam films...no one has style like him.

Yes indeed. From visuals like the art direction (he is an artist himself, in the drawing definition of that word), to the choice of material, to the editorial and subject matter in his films - Terry Gilliam has a unique and quite distinctive director's style. He is a perfect example of another person who no matter who he works with, his films are always imbued with his essence.

Style

Yes indeed. From visuals like the art direction (he is an artist himself, in the drawing definition of that word), to the choice of material, to the editorial and subject matter in his films - Terry Gilliam has a unique and quite distinctive director's style. He is a perfect example of another person who no matter who he works with, his films are always imbued with his essence.

That's what it ends up being, your essence. In music, art, and film I thought for much of life that you had to really try to create a style. But eventually I learned you couldn't turn it off if you tried. A director's style can manifest in these patterns such as Woo's dual guns, but it all comes from the way you see the world.

When someone shows Tim Burton a piece of regular footage, it probably just doesn't spark his imagination. When John Woo shot his first film, there was probably a moment when the lead walked out holding a gun and Woo just said, "shouldn't the hero have more guns?".

It's a complex questions and some of these other answers may be better than mine, but what I'm trying to point out is that style comes naturally as a function of who you are. You just adjust things till they look right to you, and your style will automatically be there.

And yes, Terry Gilliam is the greatest

Back