Directing book recommendations?

I recently bought a canon60D, a tripod, and 2 lenses and hope to make it as a writer/director. I have a few screen writing books that are helping me formulate script ideas so now I'm hoping someone here can suggest books (preferably in e-book format) that give a nuts and bolts look of how to take a script and put it on screen.

I understand there is no set in stone method to directing and that to copy the same tired formula out of a book is exactly why 99% of films nowadays are so cookie cutter and boring. However, I've never directed before and don't know where to start so I'm going to use the books I read as general guideline to jump off from not a step by step copy paste job. Also any books that specifically refer to using the canon60D or DSLR's in general to direct would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

For a different twist on things try:

Sound Design: The Expressive Power of Music, Voice and Sound Effects in Cinema by David Sonnenschein

It focuses, if you'll pardon the pun, on the most overlooked aspect of filmmaking. There are lots of other books pertaining to sound FX, Foley and audio technique, but the Sonnenschein book is about the esthetic, artistic and psycho-acoustic aspects of sound and its impact upon an audience.

"Sound is half of the experience."

To the OP,

I'm sorry to say but you're a bit off the track. Directing has nothing to do with "tired formulas". Good directing is required whether you're doing a tired formula or something original.

Now stories, yes, there are cookie cutter stories and, yes, you want to avoid those.

Additionally, directing has very little to do with the type of camera you have.

I have not found a really great "A" book on directing because basically directing involves set-in-stone rules you can't break (that often) and still have an audience for your film. Beyond that, there is vision -- vision is different for every filmmaker and it is difficult convey this subject in mere words in a book.

If there is only one thing you take from this post on directing, it's COVERAGE!

A list of filmmaking books reviewed: http://www.lexiecannes.com/id16.html

Good luck.

1. Directing Actors by Judith Weston
2. Making Movies by Sydney Lumet (I'm just starting out to read it)
3. On Directing Film by David Mamet

Go to your local library and you'll be amaze on how many filmmaking books you'll see. Plus, they're free! So spend a few hours in the library and feed your brain with knowledge that's actually helpful! I don't like reading myself, but if it's a filmmaking book, I'm hooked! =))

Also any books that specifically refer to using the canon60D or DSLR's in general to direct would be nice.

In general directing doesn't really have anything to do with the camera you are shooting with, so I wouldn't worry about finding directing books that have to do with DSLRs.

And I'll second wheatgrinder's suggestion (I assume he's referring to the same book) - "Film Directing Shot By Shot"
by Steven Katz. It's an excellent discussion of the process of planning a shoot beforehand via storyboarding, and covers many of the standard setups for things like dialogue scenes.

While the OP asked about books, I'm surprised that no one has suggested listening to director's commentary tracks and making-of featurettes. I've picked up many tips and pearls of wisdom that way.

Robert Rodriguez's 10-Minute Film Schools are excellent and I've used his tip from the El Mariachi one about reframing in a single take in between lines of dialog in order to give the illusion of more coverage. (I had comments on a two-camera live music video in which the camera I didn't operate was basically a static shot that couldn't believe it was only two cameras. I hid the reframing with cutaways to the static view.)

And one of the best overall pieces of advice for filmmaking overall came from Frank Oz's Bowfinger track when he discussed a scene he'd cut from the finished film because, as fond as he was of it, it slowed down the pace too much. He said that you should never be so attached to something that you can't leave it out for the betterment of the whole.

You can absorb a lot of wisdom from supplemental materials, as long as they aren't the fluffy EPK ones in which everyone talks about how much they loved each other and it was such an awesome experience and blah-blah-woof-woof. That stuff is useless.

One book that I picked up that was pretty fascinating is CINEMATIC STORYTELLING the 100 most powerful film conventions every filmmaker must know by Jennifer Van Sijll. The first chapter alone is worth the cost (or read from your local library).

While the technical aspects of film making can be found in books. One of the most important really can't. CHARACTER. Understanding characters, and getting the best character performance from your actors. Every line of dialogue and action means something in a well written screenplay. It's your job as director to be sure that every meaning comes to life on film believably.

If you're young and know of a theatre group in your area that doesn't suck, volunteer. Clean the floors, do anything. Just get access to sit in on rehearsals, and watch. If you have any talent at all, you'll be able to pick out the good from bad actors. The naturals from the actors that need lots of notes to be passable. It's invaluable experience. Every actor is different. Some you need to treat with kid gloves, others you need to scream at to get their attention. But, in the end, they all come together to make a memorable performance.

This is experience you can't find in a book. It will set you apart from the pack when it comes to shooting your own material.

"I'll Be in My Trailer" by John Badham.
The subtitle is "The Creative Wars Between Directors and Actors"

It really deals with the most important part of directing - dealing with actors. Knowing your shots, etc is basic technical skills - and needs to be learned - but the wisdom of knowing how to deal with actors is invaluable. This book is filled with that kind of wisdom.

I had the pleasure of working with John on a tv show "The Event" and not only is he a great director - he's a great person.

-Joe
Writer/Director?Producer of "Assisted Fishing"
http://www.assistedfishing.net

Alcove, I'm thinking of getting 'Sound Design: The Expressive Power of Music, Voice and Sound Effects in Cinema by David Sonnenschein'

Would you be able to enlighten me with the contents of the book? Does it give tips on how to capture sound/best ways to to get the best quality in dialog scenes and so on.

Not just that looking for info on sound design as whole, but theyre just a few little bits im going for :)

1. Directing Actors by Judith Weston
2. Making Movies by Sydney Lumet (I'm just starting out to read it)
3. On Directing Film by David Mamet

Go to your local library and you'll be amaze on how many filmmaking books you'll see. Plus, they're free! So spend a few hours in the library and feed your brain with knowledge that's actually helpful! I don't like reading myself, but if it's a filmmaking book, I'm hooked! =))
All 3 are excellent for getting the approach right. Michael Wiese Publications also do a good set of books that dissect scenes, sequences, shots, etc. they're really good for getting you to dissect scenes yourself. I also really like The Visual Story by Bruce Block. It's a more technical look at how to construct movement, space, etc..

You'll definitely need more than one book as there are so many things to cover in directing.

One of the first exercises I had at film school was to redirect a famous scene but not with the same shots as the original. It was only 1 minute scene but that was tough. Try it. We started with Hitchcock's Birds.

"Directing Actors" by Judith Weston. Learn how to direct actors. This is one of the most important things you will need to learn. And there are certain "formulas" you will need to know to do this.

But as a director, you should learn, literally, everything involved in filmmaking, to some degree or another. That goes from the Idea to Marketing, and everything in between. And I agree with DirkBelig; listen to commentaries and watch the behind-the-scenes featurettes!

Back