• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Digital car explosion.

I was watching an action short on YouTube called "Kuchen Strike 2" and I was very impressed by the realistic explosions and bullet hits on cars. All of it. (can't post link, using my cell phone right now). I assume they used After Effects? Not sure. Anyway, I'm making a gangster feature length film months from now and a lot of the effects I saw would be useful for the story I'm telling. I wouldnt have the patience to do it myself (I could try) and so I'm wondering how would I go about hiring someone? How much shall I pay and for how long? Where do I look? I'm from the Bay Area, so a local person is a must. I guess that's it for now. Thank you all.

There are TONS of VFX houses in California. Though with the internet I don't think you need to be local. If you FTP the clips, they can FTP back.

*cough* I do VFX work and compositing for clients outside my metroplex all the time. ;)

There are TONS of VFX houses in California. Though with the internet I don't think you need to be local. If you FTP the clips, they can FTP back.

*cough* I do VFX work and compositing for clients outside my metroplex all the time. ;)

What's FTP?

I checked out your videos. Pretty cool stuff. Can you do car explosions? And I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for yet, but keep in touch. Add me on Facebook or something.

I don't know how to do that.

I would also prefer a person rather than a company to take care of that digital car explosion. For it would s better collaboration and I would imagine it would be more affordable. I don't really know and I'd like some straight forward answers.

Thanks.

I don't know how to do that.

I would also prefer a person rather than a company to take care of that digital car explosion. For it would s better collaboration and I would imagine it would be more affordable. I don't really know and I'd like some straight forward answers.

Thanks.

It's really simple, and there's no need to be arsey. Have a browse round some visual effects forums - I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who want a chance to work on someone else's project, even if it's for very little money. For the most part, I think visual effects is one area of filmmaking where being local doesn't have much of an advantage, and if you can find a cheaper or better deal from someone further afield then go for it.

It's really simple, and there's no need to be arsey. Have a browse round some visual effects forums - I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who want a chance to work on someone else's project, even if it's for very little money. For the most part, I think visual effects is one area of filmmaking where being local doesn't have much of an advantage, and if you can find a cheaper or better deal from someone further afield then go for it.

What's arsey? :huh: Any reputable visual effects forum you'd recommend? It maybe simple to you, but I've never delved into visual effects before.

I make good After Effects bullet hits, muzzle flares, explosions, and blood splats. The best part is, I will do it for free.

Nice. May I see your work?

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far.

Back