Detroit's Finest

Uranium City

Pro Member
indiePRO
Even if you do get proper clearances, fun stuff can happen on location!

Film Crew Detained And Insulted By Detroit Police

More of this stuff every day. With the 30% Michigan movie tax credit and various above board studios and scam "studios" and "film schools" cropping up in abandoned storefronts, there are lots of crews shooting lots of things each and every day. Someone is going to get hurt sooner than later, I fear.

First, lets just say thank God no one was injured or shot because that would be the end of the Michigan-Hollywood connection the state is trying to encourage. And it wouldn't have even been the fault of the filmmakers, it would have been the cops fault and Detroit would once again look bad to the rest of the country. People have such a bad opinion of Detroit that they wouldn't even want to know the details. I would hate to see that happen to a city that is trying so hard to grow out of the crater left by the Big Three automakers.

Frankly, what must have happened is some good samaritan thought they saw something and called the police. That is what should happen in a city that has a crime problem. They were doing their jobs. The situation seemed to be cleared up

I will say that even when I was doing my documentary, I put up signs so people knew I was shooting. These guys need P.A.s or people in the perimeter with signs or next to signs saying what they are doing. People were stopped during the shooting of Red Dawn also, there were incidents then as well

Incidentally, this sort of thing happened all the time in Baltimore, where Homicide: Life on The Beat was shot. Its not a new occurrance. To me, this should have been squashed. Everybody at the end of the recording, wasn't that a lucky thing to have going, seemed to have chilled out, so this isn't a non-issue, but it should probably be cleared up and diffused by now.

-- spinner :cool:

Back