desktop or laptop?

I have been contemplating switching over to mac now for a while but I'm not sure wether to go mobile or not. It's a toss up between the G4 powerbook or the G5 desktop. I would be using it considerably for video and audio programs but other common uses as well (word, internet, e-mail, ect.). I think the powerbook would be good as far as not having to worry about buying a moniter and obviously being able to take it with me, but I know I could have more upgrading options with the G5. Anyways I could really use some feed back to help with my delema.

Last edited:
Desktops are more reliable, but I love my laptop, though I pretty much only using it for writing and internet -- just being able to whip it out most any place and write makes it worth while.

bah!
laptops are way sexier than desktops....they are sex on a lead,

an electrical lead at that..
oohhh, you can take them anywhere, and they will still do what you want, a desktop only does its job sat down.

The problem is, we don't know your criteria... What will you use it for? Graphics, editing, post, music comp, animation, games, word processing... what?

If you're looking into focusing on post, including animation, get the G5... if you're going to be doing HD get a G5, in fact, if you're going to do all of the above, get a G5...

If you're just going to do DV capture and editing, get the laptop.. Yes they are fun, but if you want more power and less expensive upgrades with a veriety, get the desktop

In fact, I just picked up a dual proc server last night with 2 more procs... I just need another dual proc MoBo and I'm good. For a little while anyway

yeah even though it would be cool to have the accessibility with the laptop, I think I will go with the G5. Now I have to worry about a display so if you guys have any suggestions on that topic let me know. I would like at least a 17 inch with good quality but don't want to spend top dollar. Anyways thanks for your opinions guys

I don't know laptops are pretty sweet. Yes the G5 is awesome and I wish I could have one. , but you can still get alot done with a laptop, So it's really all about prefernce cause come on guys the g4 powerbook it's like a little bit slower but not enough to really kill you. But good luck man.

You could always wait for the G5 laptop ;)

But it depends a lot on what you plan to use it for, how badly you need the extra oomph of a G5 vs. the convenience of a laptop. As someone who travels frequently, I find that a laptop gives me the freedom I need to work anywhere and at my convenience, and that far outweighs the extra power of a desktop at the moment.

I agree with vegas: yes the G5 is better, but a G4 Powerbook won't kill you. Especially if you're still starting out and working on small projects. I won't deny that I love using the dual 2 GHz G5 at my school, but I'm willing to settle for less if it means convenience of travel.

Back