Designing a film set

Hi there ,

I am currently working on my new short film . I found a great location but unfortunately the walls are just awful. Clean white walls , just horrible.

I want to put some beautiful wallpapers on the walls to make them gorgeous ,but unfortunately I am not going to be able to glue the walls and make a mess.

Any idea how to use the wallpapers and still keep the location and the walls clean when I leave?

Thanks , all ideas on the design are more than welcome.

If you have the time and budget, put up fly-away walls in front of their walls. Primed Plywood, or something. You could wallpaper those. If that's not an option, then either give up and deal with the walls as they are, try and split the difference by set-dressing them with pictures and such, or find a new location.

you could line the existing walls with luaun (1/8" thick plywood), and wallpaper that. You'd probably want to tack it in place with some brads to the actual walls, and then you'll have tack holes to fill when it comes down.

Or you might be able to stretch canvas or other heavy fabric across the wall, making a wooden frame (less wood, might be cheaper), then wallpaper over that.

But yeah, otherwise, you'll have to change your plans, or find an alternate location

Last edited:
What is so great about this location? Is it furniture or ?
Cause if you are going to have to build a set within a location it is going to make more sense to build a set in a warehouse or smth.

Just fix it in post..... right? Guys? right? ;)

Pick a new location that suits better, build elsewhere or deal with it.

To get the same texture and pattern without wallpapering the walls, you can get large picture frames and mount pieces of the wallpaper in those. You then arrange the wallpaper pictures in a funky grouping to add character and panache.

ETA: To save some money, you can glue the wallpaper to pieces of thick cardboard (refrigerator boxes) and use inexpensive poplar wood or plastic picture frame molding (available in lengths of 8 feet at most home improvement centers) and paint it to match/contrast the wallpaper. I would use spray adhesive to mount the wallpaper instead of the wet glue if you mount it to cardboard.

Last edited:
You could hang up pictures to make the wall look less boring. Lucky had a good idea as well, glue wallpaper to cardboard and attach cardboard to the wall.

Are you filming 3D? ALL texture is flat on 2d screens. Just paint it really good. There are many interior painting techniques that look amazing.. Painting IS the PREFERRED option. Rag rolling, stippling, glazing, stencils etc..

Back