• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

screenplay Descriptions and time

Hello All,
Please accept my apologies in advance. I have a lot of question flitting around my tiny mind, so this might be the first of many cries for help.

I have read, somewhere, that there are no 'set in stone' rules for writer/director scripts, this is good because I have probably broken many in my script.
However, one of the things that I am trying my hardest to adhere to is the idea that one page roughly equates to one minute screen time.

My problem with this, and what I would like to get some help with is, how do I regulate my 'action' scenes? At present, in the current draft, I have not restricted myself, I have allowed myself to be as descriptive (probably "overly') as I feel I need to be, to express the scene I see in my head.

I'd really appreciate some pointers on this because I would hate to think I could end up with either a bloated final draft or one that give a wildly incorrect run-time impression.

Thank you everyone

Last edited:
When I read tv or film scripts the action lines are around 3 lines. Doesn't mean you can't break those rules, they do it all the time. But it helps regulate the amount of "white" on the page (Producers like to see a lot, they don't like to read). When you're writing an action scene, or any scene, don't include camera direction. That's a big one. Another is not to over direct the actors. That's a very fine line to walk, but it helps to read some plays because at the end of the day the actors will be studying this. I recommend reading the Logan(2017) script. This has a lot of camera direction because it's a shooting script. Meaning the director has gone over it and included camera cues for the DP.

Good Luck!
I hope this helps:)

Thank you very much, it all helps, even if the advice is painful!
My current 'working' draft is riddled with an over abundance of camera and character direction. I know this is a problem, in the same way I, deep down, know my descriptions of the action scenes are far too detailed. My excuse is that this draft is my personal version of the Logan script (thank you for the link, very useful) as director.
I am going to take your help onboard, and produce a version of the final script (when I finish it!), pear down the descriptions and remove all camera direction, although the thought of 3 lines does worry me!
Because you are right, producers don't like reading and the unfortunate fact of life is that I will need to try and get it in front of a producer, or two, at some point.
Thank you for bringing that home to me, much appreciated.

Last edited:
However, one of the things that I am trying my hardest to adhere to is the idea that one page roughly equates to one minute screen time.
The key word here is roughly. It applies across the entire script, not
page by page. Your dialogue scenes might be 3 pages for 1 minute
and your action scenes might be 4 minutes for 1 page. So don't think
about this "rule" as you are writing.

I'd really appreciate some pointers on this because I would hate to think I could end up with either a bloated final draft or one that give a wildly incorrect run-time impression.
You mention that you will try to get this script to a producer or two.
Producers understand that the "one page equals one minute" idea
is nothing more than a general guideline talked about by writing "gurus".
The moment they look at the script they will not get an incorrect run
time impression. Producers are pretty good at their job.

That said; as an unproduced writer (even writer/director) you need
to present a script that sticks to the standard. If you need a script
to express the scene you see in your head, that's fine. Then rewrite
that scene to express what you want a producer to read.

Thank you directorik,
You have very much echoed my thoughts (but it's better coming from you... as I don't trust my thoughts!!)
As we speak I an writing a draft which is solely for my own personal understanding. Once this is complete I will make a 'producer-friendly' edition. (I guess i could even change the formatting on the elements that I know I will be removing later!?)

Back