Dentists, finance & LinkedIn

hi guys, aplogies for the wackiness of this thread, it's been a long night!

Thanks to hardworkingfilmslave's thread on getting contacts and financiers gave me an idea. I've read a few posts on here about dentists financing a few film projects so with that in mind...Why not set up a LinkedIn account for your project and add a load of dentists as contacts. send them messages asking if they be interested in investing or simply set up a crowd funding campaign and ask for them for a little help

anyway, random I know. What are your thoughts on this?

It's not a bad idea. The first time I heard about the dentists as investors idea is from Dov S Simmens 2 Day Film School course.

Sometimes the best way to find out if your idea is good is to simply try it.

Why not set up a LinkedIn account for your project and add a load of dentists as contacts. send them messages asking if they be interested in investing or simply set up a crowd funding campaign and ask for them for a little help

The dentist suggestion is largely apocryphal. The suggestion is to approach
people with a lot of money. Not all dentists have a lot of money. Media moguls
have money, real estate developers have money, oil and gas tycoons have
money, hotel owners have money.

Why limit yourself? Set up a Linkedin account and add a load of wealthy people
with extra money to invest or donate. These days the "rich dentist" is just a
cliche. Broaden your contacts.

The major problem with setting up a linkedin account and "adding a ton of contacts" is that you don't know those people, so you'll just come across as a random spammer. While you may very well have decent luck with this approach, I'd warn you to proceed cautiously with it as you'd potentially be violating linkedin TOS, and definitely would be opening yourself up to to possibility of being banned from the site.

Networking is essential for any producer, but this kind of chaotic 'shotgun' approach, of firing blindly into oblivion and seeing if you hit anything doesn't seem like a terribly great idea. As someone who receives a lot of out of the blue connection requests from job recruiters, ultimately people looking for me to help them line their pockets, I can tell you these random requests from unknown people tend to get annoying.

Back