Dealing With Actors

As i was making my movie, it became evident that one of my actors was going to need to be replaced for a few key reasons. I found a replacement, i hope. But i don't know how to deal with being around the one actor who i replaced, because he will be around while shooting because he still wants to be part of the movie. It's all really awkward. Does anyone have any similar experiences or advice on a situation like this

playing the politician and doing psychology with lots of people with strong egos (self-confidence is necessary to acting) is part and parcel of the filmmaker's experience.

Specifically, directors and producers get to handle these situations. So much rides on the comfort and relaxation of the actors on set that doing these two jobs well can make up for so many other deficiencies... They will get better performances out of their actors.

Everything else being equal, a director who deals well with conflicting egos will make a better film than the one who doesn't. At least I feel this is true in the low/no budget arena.

I've always had it as a cast iron rule on my sets that only people involved in the scene are allowed on set... all the other actors, hangers on and non-essential crew have to stay in the staging area.

If the old actor wants to help out, that's fine... but if what he means by that he wants to rubber neck, how is that helping the film?

If you keep your set clear of non-essential cast and crew at all times, then there is no reason for the guy to be on set to spook your replacement, unless he's holding the boom. If he says he wants to watch the scenes, then the word you're looking for is "No."

I've always had it as a cast iron rule on my sets that only people involved in the scene are allowed on set... all the other actors, hangers on and non-essential crew have to stay in the staging area.

If the old actor wants to help out, that's fine... but if what he means by that he wants to rubber neck, how is that helping the film?

If you keep your set clear of non-essential cast and crew at all times, then there is no reason for the guy to be on set to spook your replacement, unless he's holding the boom. If he says he wants to watch the scenes, then the word you're looking for is "No."

Yep, I'd go for that.

To be honest, when not filming most of my actors can't wait to get away from me/the set. ;)

Steven

CLIVE

Great to see you after a long time. Where were you from so many months?

Abbreviated Prod. You didnt tell in what way he want to be a part of your team? still as an actor or just want to help you in any other way?

Why dont you call him in privacy and talk to him?

Regards

Back