• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Dead Infection - Opening Sequence

Hey, this is my college project as part of the coursework, its the first film i have ever made.

Got a group of my mates together to film it. It isnt that long because its a opening sequence. This was all done in Adobe After Effects.

I apologize now for being a typical zombie film xP

I need as much criticism as possible thanks :)

(Violence and Swearing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k4LH3zG-OQQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k4LH3zG-OQQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>​

Last edited:
I quite liked it, especially the headshot splat on the wall. I don't know why you used the "crying witch" audio from LEFT 4 DEAD. You should have made your own. I did like how the girl's face was in the shadows. I also like the sepia filmlook, which is very effective for this piece. The pistol shot to the head seemed to have an overly big blood splat, but was still decent. Overall, you succeeded with this.

The echoing of the crying is a great effect, would have started off softer and then got louder as they got closer (Note: didn't see Left 4 Dead which another person mentioned). Music thus far is fine.

Nice creepy shot @:40.

Nice effects with the head getting blown off but I would go back and add fire to the gun with the visual effect.

Sorry, but I hate running zombies, they are dead and have rigor mortis. But trust me, this is a personal opinion. Also, I believe zombies beat you by sneaking up and by over running the heroes. AGAIN, personal opinion and when I see them running (zombies) in trailers I don't watch them.

@2:21 you have fire coming from the gun, I'd do it for that excellent beginning scene.

But in all, besides the running zombies, I really enjoyed what you have done. Maybe tighten the gun shot effects but trust me, it didn't look bad. Blood effects were fantastic.

Shots were fine and color being washed out was fine because you had overcast and the type of film it was it was fine. I would make sure you keep up with that look though.

@1:25 maybe add some foot steps there, but not too loud because they are on grass.

Acting was good and fight scenes seemed realistic.

Great job thus far and keep up the good work.

EXTRA INFO: Framing of shots seemed fine for this piece and liked how you mixed it up, POV, close ups, established shots, etc.

Last edited:
@ wridingrlm: Left for Dead is a video game...

I agree, you should not have used the Witch sound...in fact, you based that girl directly off the L4D character. You should have called this short Left For Dead.

Other than that, it was good. I liked a lot of it.

Wow I liked but then i love zombie flicks! I was just wondering how did you make the color dark like that?

Wow I liked but then i love zombie flicks! I was just wondering how did you make the color dark like that?

Its an add-on effect on Adobe After Effects :)

Thank you all for your feedback, it will really help me improve my future films.

Personally i didnt want to use the witch sound, because i dont like stealing audio files from other things, i like to make things myself, like i did for the zombie sounds. However that is somthing i now know that i can improve on.

Im glad you all liked it, even though it is a Zombie film :P

I too enjoy zombies, they are always fun. I can't give you any points for originality but hey with lots of blood who cares.

fast paced

I like it I am a fan of zombie movies. You might want to see if you can get a visual contrast between your two subjects I got lost a little the first time through. Other excellent.;)

You caught me in a critical mood.

I don't like the camera angles as the 2 are walking toward the first zombie in the beginning. Every shot I think would be better if it was behind something - like the first scene in Hurt Locker where he is walking towards the first bomb disarming. Make it seem as though they are being watched.

I'd sound design it differently. The snarls of the zombies are a bit too close-miced yet on screen they are at least 10 feet away. Put a bit of distance there.

The guy running with the rifle makes it look as though he's running with a nerf gun and isn't trained to run with a gun of that size.

You need more dialogue between the two guys. Where did they come from and where are they going? Suck the audience in with good exposition. "C'mon. It's almost dark", or "We've got to get back to the others", or "Let's hurry and be done with this - I don't like this place". Something. Otherwise they are just 2 bloaks walking around a random church with guns and camoflauge.

I'd also make the 2 look dirtier and not so clean-cut. The guy with the rifle looks like he just got a haircut and the other guy looks too well-rested and chipper. They're about to go play cricket? No, they've been surviving for months in this barren dead landscape.

Possibly you gave the zombies a little too much of an advantage in how fast they run? Dunno - when I think zombie, I think limping and relentless slow-walking.

As they are approaching the first zombie, I hear happy birds in the distance. Not a way you want to start off a zombie film. That doesn't set the mood. Put in some ugly crow KAAAAAWWW KAAAAWWWW in the distance or some random owl hoot that is more of a "wow, I don't like the feeling of this place".

The handheld as they are running away is a little too jerky.

You need more foley and that gate needs an ominous sound. Gun shots need a forest echo on them. You need more footsteps.

Now - to get to what is GOOD in your film (which is an added bonus from me because you only asked for criticism)

I love the sound you have for when the first girl zombie jumps up and attacks. That would get anyone in a theater jumping. I also like the pacing of it. The stone drop, then the attack. I like it.

In the mix I'd fade to silence a bit quicker and make the stone drop have a deep echo on it and set the audience up through silence for a jump with that loud sound.

Otherwise, those are my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Back