Day to Night simulation

Anyone have any experience shooting an outdoor scene during the day and manipulating the footage in post to make it look as if the events are occuring at night?

I remember the rock climbing scene in Deliverance was shot this way.

Any suggestions? Filters, lighting, effects, etc...

Try not to show the sky. Use high angles and avoid the horizon or shoot where there is lots of foliage. The sky will give it away.

Blue... Blue is the color to add in Post. I've done some tests for a competition. It was just a photo that we had to change to a dark stormy night. I used Combustion and added blue and just toned down the brightness alltogether. I might still have the original photo and the end result. If I find it I'll let you know.

Shoot for tungsten (T film if film w/o 85 filter and tell the colorist it's day for night,white balance on tungsten if shooting video) and underexpose by 1 and a half to 2 stops.

The bluish cast will work but personally I think it's a bit hackneyed and overdone.Also unrealistic a leftover from theatrical stage effects.

DirectorX said:
I remember the rock climbing scene in Deliverance was shot this way.

Any suggestions? Filters, lighting, effects, etc...

I almost want to say they also did some sort of post technique,either in the processing or printing.There were some unrealistic highlights that added a very bizarre effect that worked really well.Skip bleach maybe???

Back