Day for Night

I was wondering if anyone could give any good insight on how best to perform day for night.

We are shooting a scene in the woods and I weather is suppose to be rainy and clouding, I thought day for night could work

Any insight would be very helpful

Day for night in the woods?

Please don't do it . Just don't .

You think it's going to work?

It wont .

But maybe you're the guy who is really going to make it work?

You're not.

Don't do it.

Please.

Please.

I don't get why anyone would want to do day for night anyway?

Shooting at night is so much better in so many ways... and you don't have to worry about feeding your actors because they've already had breakfast, lunch and dinnder ;)

Shooting at night is so much better in so many ways... and you don't have to worry about feeding your actors because they've already had breakfast, lunch and dinner ;)

Sometimes people cannot shoot at nighttime because of schedule. It can also be because they can't find power sources or even sometimes generators and lights that will work due to budget.

Shooting at night is so much better in so many ways... and you don't have to worry about feeding your actors because they've already had breakfast, lunch and dinnder ;)

Because shooting night for night requires a truckload of lighting power for it to look any decent - something many low budget filmmakers simply do not have the budget for.

Also, you should always feed your crew. Here, you can't work more than 5 hours without receiving a meal (so you should receive two meals, with two 45 minute breaks, as well as two hours of overtime pay on a 12 hour day). I believe in the US it's more like 6, as the standard day is 12hr(?) instead of 10.

Either way, unless you're only shooting for a couple of hours you should always feed your cast and crew, and even if it is only a few hours, you should always have craft services

Because shooting night for night requires a truckload of lighting power for it to look any decent - something many low budget filmmakers simply do not have the budget for.

Also, you should always feed your crew. Here, you can't work more than 5 hours without receiving a meal (so you should receive two meals, with two 45 minute breaks, as well as two hours of overtime pay on a 12 hour day). I believe in the US it's more like 6, as the standard day is 12hr(?) instead of 10.

Either way, unless you're only shooting for a couple of hours you should always feed your cast and crew, and even if it is only a few hours, you should always have craft services

Shooting at night does NOT require a truckload of lighting.

You know what they say, if you don't get the joke it means you are the joke.

Than tell us how it is done

One, you plan your scene so that it doesn't require a wide view.

Two, you rig a head light that runs on batteries (I've seen some that last up to 8 hours) on a system that gets it as close as possible to the edge of your frame (depending on the light intensity that is required).

Three, you position your main light in a similar fashion.

Four, in my situation, I bounce the light to give me a very, very, very subtle fill.

Of course you need a decent camera that can shoot in higher ISOs without noise.

Alex Buono shot a black guy wearing black clothes on top of the Brooklyn (I think) bridge at night with nothing but ambient lighting and it looked amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFzIP_TN75A

Last edited:
What?! Sh*t I've been doing it wrong this whole time!

Funny story.

I'm on a feature film set in a huge church. They had two massive lights sitting in the back corners illuminating everything. We waited over and hour while the DP walked around with his light meter, adjust this, adjust that... never getting it quite right.

Then one of the lights overheated and went out.

The DP said "Perfect" and meant it.

Funny story.

I'm on a feature film set in a huge church. They had two massive lights sitting in the back corners illuminating everything. We waited over and hour while the DP walked around with his light meter, adjust this, adjust that... never getting it quite right.

Then one of the lights overheated and went out.

The DP said "Perfect" and meant it.

I never said you had to use all the lights on the truck ;)

I'm thinking that for a nice night shoot I'm just going to build a 10 foot china ball and float it in the sky

3376d1181147466-anybody-use-china-balls-regularly-dcp00414.jpg

Last edited:
Back