Day for Night

I was wondering if anyone could give any good insight on how best to perform day for night.

We are shooting a scene in the woods and I weather is suppose to be rainy and clouding, I thought day for night could work

Any insight would be very helpful

Why? We have day for night when we cannot be shooting at night! Why not do something if there is another way of accomplishing a look or effect with the tools you have available to you?

What happens at night that CAN'T happen during the day?

Answer: NOTHING

Unless someone is going to make the 10,000,000,000,000,000 zombie flick in existence and if that is the case they should just stop before they start.

What happens at night that CAN'T happen during the day?

Answer: NOTHING

Sure, pretty much anything. But setting a part of a film at nighttime may be more effective than during the day. For example, in Goodfellas and Shallow Grave, bodies were being buried at night. Many people would not be burying bodies in the middle of the day. Not that it can't happen, but it taking place at night is more believable. Another example on a more indie level is Ryan Connolly's Tell. Sure, a murder could have been committed during the day, but it was more effective during nighttime. Sometimes scenes make more sense during nighttime. For example, a dinner party may make more sense if it takes place when the sun is setting or down rather than up and bright. Have you ever seen From Hell? Would it have made sense if Jack the Ripper killed people in the middle of the day in a place where he could be seen? No. Many horror films and thrillers are set at night because darkness is often more ominous. Have you ever heard the idea that the unknown is scarier than the known? Darkness and emptiness makes the mind of the audience flow with ideas. Darkness can contribute to dark tones. Also, there are things that people do in the dark that they would not to during the day (kill someone, etc.)

Sure, pretty much anything. But setting a part of a film at nighttime may be more effective than during the day. For example, in Goodfellas and Shallow Grave, bodies were being buried at night. Many people would not be burying bodies in the middle of the day. Not that it can't happen, but it taking place at night is more believable. Another example on a more indie level is Ryan Connolly's Tell. Sure, a murder could have been committed during the day, but it was more effective during nighttime. Sometimes scenes make more sense during nighttime. For example, a dinner party may make more sense if it takes place when the sun is setting or down rather than up and bright. Have you ever seen From Hell? Would it have made sense if Jack the Ripper killed people in the middle of the day in a place where he could be seen? No. Many horror films and thrillers are set at night because darkness is often more ominous. Have you ever heard the idea that the unknown is scarier than the known? Darkness and emptiness makes the mind of the audience flow with ideas. Darkness can contribute to dark tones. Also, there are things that people do in the dark that they would not to during the day (kill someone, etc.)

Perfect examples!

IF you are an indie without the budget of Scorsese how do you handle that scene and still maintain the effectiveness / emotion? Why not send them through a meat grinder in an interior location? Or take them to a remote farm and feed them to the pigs?

As a matter of fact I HAVE seen from hell!

And any hack can make you afraid of the night, but a true horror master can make you fear the day time just as much.

PS... darkness can happen in doors as well.

PPS... don't let dogma stiffle creativity

Perfect examples!

IF you are an indie without the budget of Scorsese how do you handle that scene and still maintain the effectiveness / emotion? Why not send them through a meat grinder in an interior location? Or take them to a remote farm and feed them to the pigs?

Another one of my examples was Ryan Connolly's "Tell", which nighttime was achieved in interior scenes through blacking out the windows. In Danny Boyle's low budget classic "Shallow Grave", there were outside scenes. The movie did have a 2.5 million dollar budget, although with the technology we currently have, pulling off the look of nighttime is easier. You could send them through a meat grinder or feed them to pigs, but if you don't have either of those and you think the scene is most effective at night, then do it at night.

As a matter of fact I HAVE seen from hell!

So, what do you think about my comment about it? Could Jack the Ripper have killed people during the day?

And any hack can make you afraid of the night, but a true horror master can make you fear the day time just as much.

I'm aware of that. I never suggested fear can only be evoked at night, but that we have tools that allow us to do nighttime scenes during the day. There are scenes that are more effective at night, and there are scenes that are more effective during the day time. What I'm saying is that it's ridiculous to say you shouldn't use the tools available to you if you can use them to bring your vision to life.

PS... darkness can happen in doors as well.

PPS... don't let dogma stiffle creativity

So...

So....

the discussion regarding day for night...

IF you have the time and tools to do it within your budget, why not?

IF you do NOT have the budget, be more creative.

As for Jack the Ripper... yes... he could have killed during the day... in fact, if he would have killed just anyone during the day, it would have been more than just prostitutes with something to fear :)

Hitchcock made us afraid to take showers... what are you going to make us afraid to do :)

IF you do NOT have the budget, be more creative.

Or, if you are able to pull it off a different way and you think it suits your film best, do it that way. I can't stand people who say that you can only do things one way. There are alternative solutions, and more than one answer to pull of something, especially in the world of film.

As for Jack the Ripper... yes... he could have killed during the day... in fact, if he would have killed just anyone during the day, it would have been more than just prostitutes with something to fear :)

Isn't the story using a character that did in fact, exist? Why would they change that?

Hitchcock made us afraid to take showers... what are you going to make us afraid to do :)

You don't have to make people afraid of new things. There are many effective and classic horror films that didn't find new objects to scare people with, just new ways to scare people with old objects.

I'm only going to address the last bit since the rest is nonsense.

Go ahead and use the same music, same jump scares, same things that everyone else is using. You'll have a crappy movie like the Conjuring (the end credits of which was the scariest part).

I'm only going to address the last bit since the rest is nonsense.

Nonsense? What in those statements were nonsense?

You first said that you don't understand why people would do day for nights. I responded saying that lighting and/or schedule might be a reason for day for nights and they have a use.

You then responded saying that whatever happens at night can happen during the day, and that unless you are making a multi-million dollar film that they should stop before they begin. I responded saying that sometimes films are more effective or make more sense when they take place during the night. I gave the examples Goodfellas, Shallow Grave, Tell, and From Hell. You then said that if you don't have the budget of Scorsese, how do you maintain emotion, completely ignoring my other examples, one of which was a film that cost $2000. You also said that any hack can make you afraid of the dark, but a true master can make you afraid during the day. There were also two statements that made no sense seeing that they were in response to my statement.

I responded to this again mentioning my other examples, then saying that you should do what suits your story best, which could be setting it at nighttime. It you cannot shoot at night, you may have to do a day for night. I also said that it was more effective for Jack the Ripper to kill during nighttime. I also said that I never suggested that fear can only be evoked during nighttime sequences, and that it's ridiculous to not try another way of achieving an effect if it makes your film more effective.

You responded that saying you have the tools and time, go for it (which if seems you are ignoring that editors/effects programs that allow for manipulation of colors and brightness are TOOLS). You also mentioned that Jack the Ripper could have killed people during the day.

I responded saying that if you are able to pull off nighttime another way, and that it makes more sense/is more effective than daytime, then that's the way to go. I also said it would make little sense to make Jack the Ripper kill people during daytime, because that is not how he killed people in real life, and that setting at night contributed to the tone of the film.

I also said that you don't have to find new objects to scare people with, but find new ways to scare people with old objects. If anything, I find your statements to be nonsense.

Go ahead and use the same music, same jump scares, same things that everyone else is using. You'll have a crappy movie like the Conjuring (the end credits of which was the scariest part).

What implied that? I did say that you don't have to find new objects to be scary with, but new scares using old objects. I also said that day for night can be used if there are budget/scheduling issues. Also, I thought The Conjuring was a fantastic film. I jumped a couple of times, was tense in fear a couple of times, and the audience was flipping out. That tells me it was a good horror film.

The Conjuring sucked beyond belief. I put no credence in any of the novel you posted (that I did not read) because of that statement.

“The Conjuring” holds a rating of 86% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and made almost $300M at the box office. I enjoyed it. Chimp enjoyed it. You didn’t. You’re fully entitled to your opinion, but to say that the movie “sucked” and to then dismiss the views and opinions of people who disagree with you (on a completely unrelated matter!) is just ridiculous.

And as for ‘Day for Night’ – it’s easy to do, but it’s hard to do well. If you can shoot at night, do it. If not, give ‘Day for Night’ a try; it might end up looking like crap, but it might just work.

You can pay homage to films that made the genre great, while still being unique and making it your own. One of the best examples of that is American Hustle. Russell's film was similar in structure and style to the work of Scorsese, but he did add in his own signature style and made it a unique film.

Back