David Yates to direct Doctor Who

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118046098

Could be good. I liked the Harry Potter films, and I've liked Doctor Who since the reboot (never cared for the older series'...but I don't like Star Trek until DS9 either, so take that for what it's worth). It'd be interesting to see a modern big screen adventure, and plenty of big screen stories to tell (Time War? Please?)

But then there's this:
Yates made clear that his movie adaptation would not follow on from the current TV series, but would take a completely fresh approach to the material.

"Russell T. Davies and then Steven Moffat have done their own transformations, which were fantastic, but we have to put that aside and start from scratch," he said.

On one hand, that's fine; Who canon is all over the place (books, audio adventures, tv, video games and it all seems to count, contradictions or not). On the other hand, I really like the work they've been doing lately, and it would be nice to see something that is directly connected. Not just being connected by a character called The Doctor who flies around in a Tardis.

Naah, screw it. I'm just excited :)

There's been a screen version in the past... it departed entirely from the Dr. Who universe reality. We Whovians enjoy its kitsch, but don't consider it part of the Dr. Who canon at all. It was bad. really bad.

Moffat + Smith has much more of the original take on Dr. Who and is the reason that the latest have brought the older fans back into the fold (tennant didn't do it or me at all).

I'm cautious.

(tennant didn't do it or me at all)

Tennant's my Doctor!

To each his own. I'm pretty excited. Tom Baker was my original Doctor, and now I find it incredible that the only show my whole family makes time for is Doctor Who...kids five and eight, and wife and myself.

My son and I tried to watch the original movies, and they were awful...The Doctor wasn't a Time Lord but rather a human physician with the surname "Who." WTF?

This will either rule or be terrible. I hope it rules, but the story is so rooted in long form seasons, I hope they can pull it off without destroying it.

I'm a Troughton, Pertwee, Baker ^ 2 and Davisson fan... McCoy wasn't so bad, but a bit on the goofy side without enough of the darkness that the character needs due to his age and circumstance.

Smith is really growing on me because he seems to have something lurking that I feel Tennant was missing.

Smith is really growing on me because he seems to have something lurking that I feel Tennant was missing.

I do agree with this. Tennant never really evolved; he was as deep in his first episode as his last. I love Smith; there is something there that I can't put my finger on that I love. His youth, perhaps, compared to the other doctors?

I think it may be that Tennant had whimsy, but Smith has Whimsy that feels forced as a way to hide the weight he carries from his history... like a defense mechanism... Tom Baker had that in spades, and the rest of them in varying degrees.

I think it may be that Tennant had whimsy, but Smith has Whimsy that feels forced as a way to hide the weight he carries from his history... like a defense mechanism... Tom Baker had that in spades, and the rest of them in varying degrees.

Fantastically well put.

Baker, Pertwee, Mcoy some what in that order.
I like the new ones , the fresh take and good spfx they are doing (well most of the time) keeps me watching when i can. I just have that nostalga from watching the classic shows on pbs back in the day. Usually on weekends and at night..i think..anyway..when i have a full weekend night and it cold and crappy out i get that feeling to watch some classic Who on tv...

This has to be handeled carefuly..i can understand needing to start from scratch but if he changes too much it will not be Dr Who...i hope they use the Master again but properly this time!

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!! doctor who is hands down one of the best television shows out there. the last movie they did back in 1996 was alright for the time (and the continuity errors can all be explained away pretty easy, at least compared to the Dimensions in Time TV special, LOL), hopefully this one will have alot of flashy harry potter type CGI, a return of Paul Mcgann (PLEASE!!!) and a cool plot to go with it ,like the time war, or mabe something with the weeping angels.

and the best doctor has to be Christopher Eccleston, he was the doctor to bring the series back from the dead. tennants alright too, although he always seemed like he was jacked up on cocane or something, must be the 2 hearts LOL

Eccleston is awesome in everything! And knightly, you nailed exactly why Smith is my favorite of the recent Doctors. Tennant's run was more whimsical; because he had recovered from the borderline PTSD post-Time War ball of rage that was Eccleston. And he went too far; screwed up a lot of stuff, did some horrible things (occasionally getting called out for it), and as he became Smith, felt he needed to take a bit of a step back. That seems to be an ongoing theme in the last couple series (the Dreamlord episode was all about that). I like Amy and Rory a lot too.

I wasn't going to watch the show after the reboot, but Torchwood sounded interesting (albeit not original, but exactly my cup of tea). Glad I gave it another chance!

Oh and the Adipose are possibly the most adorable aliens ever.

It’s gonna be kind of cool I think. I am a Harry Potter fan, for example, and the five last movies (the ones directed by Yates) are the ones that distance the more for the books are the ones that I more enjoy. I know that they are different languages and everything, but Yates can take something and put it in other perspective.
On the other hand, It is kind of sad, I looove Doctor Who the way it is. But we should give Yates a chance. Doctor Who is endless, so if Yates fails, other director will come at some point.

Back