David Lynch on Product Placement.

I love this guy. I had the pleasure of working with him.
I love how the interviewer asked a 30 second question
and he answered in 3.

If product placement helps get the film financed I don't see the issue. The indie film producer that I provided a military vehicle for got several thousand dollars to feature Jack Daniels in his movie. He was also the first film company allowed to shoot at their location in Lynchburg, TN.

Code-Geass-pizza-h_1837030i.jpg

Anime product placement ftw

Maybe this is why I don't like his films. This is not genius, it's stupidity.

What's more realistic to you? Cans of Generic Cola with their labels always pointed away from the camera? Or Coke held normally?

Product placement doesn't have to be gratuitous and with the rise of digital distribution and the FACT that it will only become more and more dominant as we see 4k TVs come down in price, product placement is absolutely a legitimate means of getting a film financed. And if he can't see that and roll with the times, then I guess I won't have to watch anymore of his movies.

Woe is me.

Product placement doesn't have to be gratuitous....

Tell that to the makers of WWZ. Most gratuitous product placement I have seen, ever, save for when a film is actively making fun of product placement.

I love this guy. I had the pleasure of working with him.
I love how the interviewer asked a 30 second question
and he answered in 3.

Why is it that at least half of your posts make me want to buy you a beer and have you tell me the story behind them?

Lynch is rad. His little book (Catching the Big Fish is the title iirc) is excellent. Is he still doing weather reports for LA?

Last edited:
Maybe this is why I don't like his films. This is not genius, it's stupidity.

What's more realistic to you? Cans of Generic Cola with their labels always pointed away from the camera? Or Coke held normally?

I don't think he has an issue with having a brand name in there, he's used it before. One of his movies mentioned some beer specifically by name. I think he's simply referring to using it simply for the sake of advertising, and writing around it. I'm looking at you Castaway.

But I must admit, if it fitted the story rather than the other way around, money is money...

CraigL

I don't think he has an issue with having a brand name in there, he's used it before. One of his movies mentioned some beer specifically by name.

Possibly the most quoted line from Blue Velvet:

Heineken? Fuck that shit. PABST BLUE RIBBON.

But I must admit, if it fitted the story rather than the other way around, money is money...

The script I'm working on currently is a roadtrip movie, and the travelers will munch on burgers & cookies, drink soda & lemonade at various points; if I can get someone to pay me some money (or feed the cast and crew for a day or 2?) in exchange for having their product in there, I'd be thrilled.

Maybe this is why I don't like his films.

Because of his opinion on product placement?

And if he can't see that and roll with the times, then I guess I won't have to watch anymore of his movies.

Because a director doesn't like product placement, you aren't going to watch his films? And I think he is rolling with the times. Due to advances in technology, the internet growing, and filmmaking becoming more and more popular, there are now easier and faster ways to get money for your film.

Back