Cutting clip from a mv4 file?

I ripped a DVD of my old movie. I needed to cut certain scenes and upload them for a friend. But the mv4 file is terribly laggy. It lags in Quicktime. It freezes when I try to convert to ProRes so I can cut the specific scenes in FCP7. How do I get it to go smoothly? I just need a few scenes from this movie clip to upload. Thanks

Have you tried MPEG Streamclip? It generally deals well with playback and conversion of files like that, you can also do some basic trimming right within it so you could select the portions of the file that you want to convert rather than doing the whole thing.

Have you tried MPEG Streamclip? It generally deals well with playback and conversion of files like that, you can also do some basic trimming right within it so you could select the portions of the file that you want to convert rather than doing the whole thing.

+1

This is what I use when I want to trim.
If you try taking it into a real editor it will convert the footage, then when you export it the quality will be degraded.

By using stream clip you never alter the encoding

Additional note:
If all of the clips are from the SAME original file, you can copy&paste them in mpeg stream clip as well to append one clip to the other. If you try to mix and match from different films though it won't work since the files would be incompatible

Back