Cut Scene Audio Questions

Im new to film making and had a question. I have been reviewing a lot of indie films and have seen some really good ones and some that have the one thing im trying to avoid.

I currently have a new rig which consists of the new hd cam, rode videomic, glidecam, tripods, all the normal things. However, my concern is during audio recording and post. If a scene is being filmed and recorded and then edited in post, how do you prevent that sudden audio change from switching to another shot.

For example, 2 actors in a room talking filming a scene. You have one camera filming but you need to get different angle shots. To do this, the camera gets cut off to get the new shot and start recording again. WOuldnt this process have audio inconsistancies showing that each cut scene was really a cut because you can hear the audio skip or what ever it does?

Sorry to be so vauge on this, its hard for me to explain this.

great example of a good film is this short. "White Red Panic". This was filmed with one camera, but has perfect audio and video sync with no cut scene distortion in the audio.

http://www.vimeo.com/1333375

Last edited:
What you are attempting to do is the way movies have been shot and
recorded since sound - more than 60 years. Hundreds of thousands
of moviemakers have faces this issue and have come up with
excellent audio. You can, too.

If you record the audio well, you won’t have a problem. Keep the
mic close to the actors so you get a very high signal to noise
ratio - very little background noise and strong dialogue.

Those audio inconsistencies you occasionally hear is the back
ground noise. When you shoot, tape the entire scene from each
angle. That way you have more audio tracks to choose from.

Record “room tone”. With all the lights and actors and crew in the
room, record 120 seconds of silence. This will give you clean
audio to use in editing to cover any glitches.

wow thnx for the quick reply. What you said makes total sense. Would this be the same for outdoors shots? Outdoors contain quite of bit of ambience noise and could cause a problem?

Exactly the same.

Their are more challenges. And those challenges cause problems.
Very often when outdoor locations have a lot of noise (the beach,
near an airport, a waterfall) all the dialogue is re-recorded later in
a studio. This is called "looping" or ADR - additional dialogue recording
or automated dialogue replacement.

this is all great advice...room tone being the biggest one...this is what is laid under a cut to smooth things out...and sometimes in the edit you will have to close cut everything to get rid of BG noise...clothing noise from bad wires etc...you cut out everything but the words and then lay in a smoother cleaner background...this take up quite a bit of time...but the end result will usually be a better one than just letting the tracks run as they are...

as for getting the mic as close as possable...yes...signal to noise is the way to go, but if you are shooting a scene mostly in wide and medium shoots you wont get too close...snd then you jump in for a CU for just a small portion of the scene..putting the mic close will change the sound dramaticly...and not make for a smoother cut...so sometimes mikeing the CU a little futher away would make for better sound continuity within the scene and make for a better cut...rather than jumping in for a IN YOUR FACE sound cut as i call it...

also if you can...record to dialoge wild(without camera) if you are in a tough location...and record it in the same place you are shooting the scene...this was if there is a word or two on a take that has a car horn or whatever in it ...you can go to the wild take and maybe replace that word or two if you can get it to fit in...saving you ADR

hope this helps a little

Back