Cue Sheet Editor?

He Audio guys..

What software \ techniques do you use to create a cue sheet? In case I'm using the wrong terminology.. here is what I want to do..

While playing back a video, I want to note down where all the sound design elements need to go.. for example:
0:00:10 Door Open
0:00:15 Door Closes
0:02::24 Car engine start up

You get it?

Ideally, the software would contain its own video playback and automatically insert the time code for each logged line on my cue sheet, it would let me export to excel and print.

Thanks

I don't bother with a software version as I work by myself; I just use generic hand-written "fill-in-the-blanks" forms I made up myself (TC in, TC out, description w/details, etc.). I do use separate forms for Foley and sound effects, and I separate ambience sound effects from hard sound effects. I fill them out as I do the preliminary work on the dialog tracks.

I did do a power point spread sheet once, but it seemed to take me more time than it was worth - I spent a whole day transcribing my hand-written notes and printing it all out. It looked very nice, but didn't really improve my work flow that much.

To be honest, on most shorts I don't even bother; I'm time/budget limited, so what absolutely needs to be done is as obvious as a punch in the nose, and I will do some or all of the rest if more time/budget becomes available. On features it is a must; I prefer doing the Foley character by character so I can stay in character; for me it is much more efficient to do it that way.

I've also never been given a cue sheet for Foley or sound effects when one or the other was all that I was working on; they just assumed that I would know what was needed.

interesting, I can see how the added overhead is probably not worth it unless trying to get someone else to do the work.. since its just for me, a simple list of sounds and approximate time in the edit they need to be should suffice..

Again, it's handwritten, but I do create separate sheets for when I go out into the field. For instance, I may need some very specific cues for vehicles, so I will do a cue sheet for each vehicle, or I will make a "laundry list" of other sounds that I need to gather out in the real world. I have even brought a portable DVD player out with me just to do some "down and dirty" quick checks on what I have recorded.

Back