• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Critique First Ligthing Test

Hi all,
If this is an inappropriate request, please let me know.

After reading all I could digest regarding simple DIY lighting, I tried my hand at three point. If you have some time, and interest, please let me know your opinion and suggest improvements.

http://www.vimeo.com/8055874

All CFL lights with clamp hoods, I don't know the temp, but they were all from the same box, also I think thew were all 100W.
I manually WB'd

My camera is MiniDV Sony DCR-TRV27
I am using a UV filter and CP (circular polarizing) filter. I used the CP as I wanted to get more blur from the back ground by opening up the aperture as much as I could, the CP transmits 97%, so its a wee ND filter!. I think a real ND (Neutral Density) filter would have been a better choice, but I only have one, and its ND8, I tried it and couldn't get enough light through!

Any tips would be much appreciated. I think my Key light was too low and my fill was too close. (Shadows on both sides of the nose) Also, I need diffusion, but couldn't find any clothespins last night :D

Having a cute daughter who is willing to be my model helps too!

the CP transmits 97%, so its a wee ND filter!.

The guy at my local camera-shop claims it's the equiv of an ND2. I've never looked it up myself, though.

Couldn't really tell which side the key & fill were on. Right side illuminated more of the chair, but hard to say. No clue where the backlight was. Was the tree lights being used for that?

You could get rid of many shadows by tying the hair back, btw.

Reagrdless, the chair & model ended up being separated from the background effectively. :)

Thanks!
Yes The key was too much to the center, the fill was about the same on the other side. The back light was way back, behind and to the left of the chair, not enough of the back light on the Model.

Oh, and mom complained about the hair too! I guess that's what happens when you recruit the "model" just before bed time!

I think it's a little flat. I think the subject is lit too much, and the background not enough. I would pop a little light on the tree, to catch a little detail in it...but not too much so the lights don't stand out.

I would also hit her with a stronger rim light.

Not bad. Keep 'em coming.

I think it's a little flat. I think the subject is lit too much, and the background not enough. I would pop a little light on the tree, to catch a little detail in it...but not too much so the lights don't stand out.

I would also hit her with a stronger rim light.

Not bad. Keep 'em coming.

I can see the tree detail coming out a bit, that and the stronger rim light would look nice.

I am surprised that you see the subject as over lit. Seems most of my struggle has been getting enough light for a decent exposure, maybe I'm over compensating :cool:

I can see the tree detail coming out a bit, that and the stronger rim light would look nice.

I am surprised that you see the subject as over lit. Seems most of my struggle has been getting enough light for a decent exposure, maybe I'm over compensating :cool:

Well, I wouldn't say over-lit or blown out...I take that back. I think it's just the comparison to the background. It certainly doesn't look like you should have difficulty exposing her...

I agree with michael.

The subject is too flat. Try softening or diffusing the key light, and use a bead board for the fill so there is some contrast.

The BG needs more light, its way too dark.

Thanks, I had to look up bead board (looks like Ill be busting up that cheap styrene ice chest tonight. Good thing its not the "picnic season," I shouldn't need an ice chest until next summer! ;)

Back