creating a sci-fi planet

Just a question, what would be the best way to go about creating a setting for an alien planet? i know you can do set extensions and stuff in after effects but that only looks realistic when used for back drop objects. What is a good way to actually create a alien planet set? or a cheap way to do this. I take it prometheus was a 3D setting the whole time? or did they create the set.

okay thanks! and yeah making a ship would no doubt be near impossible on a low budget, looking back at the movie ALIEN for it being so old and made cheapish, the interior of the ship is huge and greatly detailed.

there are not that many shots on an alien planet if you think it through. Most of it is inside the ship, inside the tunnels... for the big outdoor shots a mix of techniques was undoubtedly used.. see this VFX break down from the Book Of Eli for examples of how this could have been achieved..

http://www.artofvfx.com/?p=65

^What he said. Even for the interior shots, my first assumption is that it's a combo of set-design/green-screen/CGI backdrops.

Not being a visual design person...

I would think that it all depends on how alien you want to make it. Let's take "Star Wars for an example. In Episode IV Tatooine, where Luke Skywalker lives, seems to be mostly a desert. Dagobah, where Yoda lives, is a big swamp. Many of the other settings appear to be "familiar" - forests, snowy wastes and the like. The same applies to the low-budget original "Star Trek" series; all of the outdoor settings are very familiar or constructed on a sound stage.

As was mentioned, interiors are limited only by your imagination and budget.

And you can take the familiar and make it "alien" by playing with the sound-scape.

For decades, desert locations have double for alien planets. Slap in a red color-correction; you're on Mars. Key the sky and add some animated blobs; your in Damnation Alley (okay, it's still Earth but you get the idea). Shoot at night with a single bright key light, and it's the moon.

You'll be looking for a location that has as few plants as possible, and some cool rock formations. If you can't remove the plants legally then paint them out in post. Bring a bunch of brooms to smooth out the unwanted foot prints. Shooting in mid-summer will have less few plants, but more heat stroke.

These are extreme locations, so don't be stupid and get killed. If you go the desert route do your homework. One misstep on a location scout can turn into a life threatening situation real fast. Food, water, first aid, shelter and a SPOT should be on your list (way above lights, camera, and dolly). Each day scout should be planned like a 3-5 day hike (just in case).

Never, never, NEVER scout alone.

Starship Troopers was shot in Hell's Half Acre. SEE PICTURES
Cool place to fight bugs, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Thomas

Last edited:
Starship Troopers was shot in Hell's Half Acre. SEE PICTURES

Holy Crap, look at all those layers of sedimentation! That's F-ing gorgeous, seriously.

Hells_Half_Acre_Landscape_lg.jpg

How much screen time do you expect to have how many cast members outside in the "alien environment?"
Exactly WHERE in the United States are you?
Use the available local terrain resources to your advantage.
You may need to shoot at night.
Or use a fog machine.
Or a combination of the two.
Are there any rock quarries or natural caves within a reasonable driving distance.
Depending upon your planned budget it may make sense to film in an adjacent state:
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=40055

Good luck!

Last edited:
For space ship interior, I was walking up a logging road the other day and there were some huge 9' diameter metal culverts staged for install sometime this summer, me and the kids played in them and I thought.. cheep spaceship set right here.. Have them delivered in halves and you could move the walls for the best shots..

i live in michigan, in the canton/plymouth area. Don't know of any parks around here that would work, i was looking for very rocky/mountain terrain.
Dude.
You're going to have to put sommmme effort into finding locations. :yes:

20120613PlymouthMichiganStateParks.png

And if nothing in any of these grab you try modifying your screenplay, scope out Manistee State park northwest of your location, or consider Pennsylvania which has better film incentives than MI.

284px-MichiganNationalForests.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huron-Manistee_National_Forests

Good luck. :)

Back