Creating a Heart?

For a film my making a guy gets his heart ripped out... so i want to make a something that looks like a heart... i would also like to have some sort of pump action... anyone got any ideas on this?

it has been suggested to me to use a pigs heart but eh ..i dunno about that...

I've done heart gags dozens of times. I'll find a couple of behind the scenes shot for you if you like - I'm sure there on my drive somewhere. This
laughingdead-b.jpg

shot is from a movie I made a few years back. Her still beating heart is then pulled out and put into someone else
laughingdead-c.jpg

I don't reccomend using anumal parts - people get squeemish. Sculpt the heart in clay and make a plaster mold. To make the heart beat I coated the mold in several layers of latex, put two baloons inside with tubes running out the bottom. After the latex dried I pulled the prop from the mold and put a squeeze bulb at the end of each tube.

With careful camera placement and some KY jelly and blood, it looks really good.

i went with the clay but my modeling can't be that good as none of my crew liked it... the actor was willing to work with a real one so after a visit to a few butcher shops we got some pigs hearts... now for the pump action... the night before I couldn't find any small tube/pipe anywhere so my AD come PM come Art Director got some electrical cord and pulled out the wire end got a condom and attached it to one end of the cord and inserted it into the heart and blew into it... Result! Looked fab!

I dont have any images but for LefT For Dead we used a pigs hreat and for teh pumping effect the actor placed his thumb in a ventricle and just moved it. It gave a rather gross heart ripped out, pumping effect that cost us under £2.

Again not to ever ones tatse but it looked amazing!

Back