Coppola weighs in on 3D

For me, Coppala's and Ebert's opinions matter. When they speak, or write, I listen. In this case, Ebert sounds a bit whiny and bitchy. As usual, Coppala comes off as reasoned and thoughtful.

So, does FFC have something? Is 3D without the glasses possible? If so, that is precisely what we do need in order to get really exited about 3D. I mean, shouldn't the goal be holographic, or holographic-like, movies?

I fail to see the merit in the arguments of detractors who write that R and NC-17 (and, for that matter, X) rated, dramatic movies will not benefit from 3D. Really? 'Oh,' they write or say, 'but how could a movie like, My Dinner with Andre, benefit from being in 3D?'

Really?

How could it not benefit? How could it not be wonderful and brilliant?! I mean, what if you could view a movie like, My Dinner with Andre, and feel something like you were sitting right there with them, at their table? Sounds pretty awesome to me. Let's not be snobbish about this. The detractors' argument is ultimately hollow. Well, that is, if the 3D of the future is without the need for uncomfortable glasses or tickets and televisions accessible only to the rich.

And you know what? You probably do, since you all love movies. Why is Coraline always forgotten in these discussions of 3D? Coraline is one of the best uses of the new 3D, thus far, and alone justifies further exploration of the format.

Last edited:
Yes, a 71-year-old, who hasn't made a significant movie in more than 3 decades, totally has his finger on the pulse of America's moviegoing public. THAT'S who we should listen to, when talking about a new filmmaking technology.

And "Coraline" is forgotten because the story just doesn't grab most people. The 3D looks nice in "Coraline". It also looks nice in "Monsters vs. Aliens", "Bolt", and "Up", three movies that far outshine "Coraline" in the storytelling department, especially the latter.

Well I'd like to see Apocalypse now in 3D. I think it'd be breathtaking if done right. Note he's not really against 3D itself, just has a problems with glasses and what he sees as pushy marketing.

Would a 3D transfer of Apocalypse Now work with 2010 technology? Maybe not, but within 5-10 years there'll be some kind of breakthrough and it'll become feasible.

Yes, a 71-year-old, who hasn't made a significant movie in more than 3 decades, totally has his finger on the pulse of America's moviegoing public. THAT'S who we should listen to, when talking about a new filmmaking technology.

:lol: To be fair to the guy he's very positive about digital cinema. He actually predicted the current era decades ago, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=www.youtube.com/watch?v=zui4s0aLpr4

Back