marketing Consolidating powaaa!

So say that Jimmy has finished his film, released it, and it was fairly well received. He had it in some online/rl comps and stuff. Pretty gewd.
But what are some ways to consolidate the “powa” that he has gained? What are ways he can launch his career from this film he has done? I’m trying to look for more Ways to build upon a potential success of a short or feature. Here is some obvious ones you may know.

-Use the contacts gained from competitions, use them to make collaborations with other filmmakers that you contacted.
-Use the success of your film, or maybe awards and reviews when you apply for new film jobs. That way you’ll be more likely to be accepted because ”they” will see your success.
-Try to build a fan base, make videos and keep your audience updated so they stick around for your next film.

Those are pretty obvious, but are there more methods to consolidate “POWA” gained from your success?
-Maybe the audience would want to know more about the characters or backstories of your film, you could write a short story revealing this to them and your audience will buy them. This will give them more backstory to the film, and interest, and money to fund your next films. Releasing books, short stories, maybe comics could keep them updated for future films you might make even.
-Maybe making a Wikipedia page about your films and stories
-Launching fundraisers?

are there any more ways to consolidate on the POWAAAA gained from a succesful film? Ways to keep the gained audience interested for a new film, ways to build a fandom? Ways to get more work after releasing the film? I’d greatly love to know as the release of my film is coming.

I wish you the best of success with the release of your movie. I'm still working on promoting my features years after they came out, even as I work on new screenplays - it's an endless process.

Are you in the process of submitting to festivals, or have you already done that and you're now releasing it publicly via Amazon or Hulu or You Tube or iTunes or whatever?

My film is actually still wrapping up production after 2-3 years. After that I’m mainly going to submit to online film festivals and competitions. As there are few real life festivals around me. I don’t think submitting to a festival you can’t go to is a good idea lol 😂

Last edited:
There aren’t no real life festivals around me. But there isnt a lot. I’ll be in a rural part of New Zealand when the film is completed so that’s why I’ll have to mainly submit to online competitions-which are becoming very frequent, rewarding and numerous now days. Its much easier to join an online competition and advertise it to an audience than it is in a real one, especially if someone isn’t near festivals and doesn’t really wanna spend much on them. so ye.
Also my film is gonna be free on youtube, Facebook, bit chute, and almost every video platform I can access. I’m planning on making the production costs back from the my following books, fundraisers, and collab work. To fund the following film.

H
I wish you the best of success with the release of your movie. I'm still working on promoting my features years after they came out, even as I work on new screenplays - it's an endless process.

Are you in the process of submitting to festivals, or have you already done that and you're now releasing it publicly via Amazon or Hulu or You Tube or iTunes or whatever?

Do you have a link to some of your work? I’d be very interested.

You seem motivated, which is good. Having a plan is good too. As far as what to do with a successful film, sure that is good info to have, but don't lose sight of the film itself. The most important thing is the successful film part. :)

Why do you think because you don't live near a festival, you have to submit to online festivals only????

Thanks! And also as a reply to the other comment. Mainly travel reasons and the fact that online festivals are cheaper than real life ones will save more money and time for me. But hopefully later on I’ll be able to travel farther.

So you are asking what to do with a successful film and how to conquer the world with it. But you are saying you will only enter online film festivals because they are cheaper. :rofl:

I've made some of my best and most enduring contacts at festivals where my movies have screened. I know that it can be expensive and time consuming, and I certainly think that it's important to be selective. But I do think it's important to get out in public as much as possible.

I also value the q&a sessions that most festivals offer. It's been a great way to know what is and isn't working.

I'm not saying you have to attend.

What he is saying is he won't enter Sundance, because it's a "real life" festival and he cannot attend. So instead of entering those, he will enter "online" film festivals (that do not have physical screenings and do online voting etc). That makes no sense.

You enter what is fit for your film and you play the lottery on a couple big ones. You attend if you can. If it's a "lottery" fest, you damn well better attend! :)

online festivals are cheaper than real life ones will save more money and time for me.

Remember everyone how I said multiple times that there are a “few” real festivals around me 😁. So I’m not excluding myself ”fully” from real ones. But I only have a ”few” real life ones to submit to. So it’s not like I’m dissing real life festivals fully lol I woudnt be that stupid. But in the current “predicament” I’ll have to take advantage of online film festivals because there aren’t many real ones in my vicinity. Online film festivals are plenty, just search them up on Facebook, online, YouTube. Most of them are very rewarding as well. Online festivals work the same as real ones but it’s just with online chatting and calling lol.

So, because you cannot travel to a "real life" one, you won't submit to them?

That's just weird man. You asked how to get your film out there and you close the door on your own self!

Online film festivals are plenty, just search them up on Facebook, online, YouTube. Most of them are very rewarding as well. Online festivals work the same as real ones but it’s just with online chatting and calling lol.

List one for me please. I have not seen these chat festivals.

Film-freeway is great for online fests.

Barring all this motivated talk, what you really should be doing (if you aren't ready for Sundance or similar) is look for Online Monthly Festivals that give feedback or reviews.

This way, you have some quotes to use for your trailer, some reviews to post on your IMDB, or some constructive feedback to hear about your film (the bad will always be more important than the good at first).

Most of them are held monthly, and give laurels to post for your fans/thumbs/title pages.

===========================

That's for the festival stuff.

As far as maintaining momentum as a filmmaker, the only way to do that is make a film better than the last one.

Back