connecting xlr mic to camcorder

I know i need to buy, but so much conflicting answers and tech. specs. how bout this? esp. for the cable, is this good quality for connecting something like rode ntg2 to hv30 (which i already have)?
I am in high school.

converter:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=589872&is=REG

cable:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ica_AT8314_50_3_pin_XLR_Male_to.html#features

p.s. Is there any suggestions for a cable holder to hold extra cable to, say, your pants?

how bout directions for making own boom pole with this?

Do i need shockmount if making own boompole?

Last edited:
There are a few approaches to doing sound with a camcorder like the HV30. As the price increases, so will sound quality. The Rode NTG-2 is a good choice for a mic. You need to go from XLR- 1/8" and there are also the questions of pre-amping. So...

1.) Buy an XLR cable and convert it down to a mini using a $15 xlr-mini converter from B&H.
Pros: It's affordable and is better than the camera mic.
Cons: Audio mix is controlled by the camera pre-amp and you lose durability and sound quality.

2.) Buy a beachtek or juicedlink adapter ($150-200). Will attach to the bottom of the camcorder and top of tripod. Run the XLR in, use the pre-amp on the adapter and it sends a signal through a mini cord to the mic jack.
Pros: Good sound, durable, more control over signal/noise ratio.
Cons: Still uses the camera's sound recording quality.

3.) Record in to a separate portable recording device. Run your mic into a Zoom H2 or H4 portable recorder ($250-350) and do sound separate.
Pros: Sound quality will be twice that of through any camera. Maximum control over audio mix. Allows for camera and sound operators to have max mobility while shooting.
Cons: Price, and sync-ing sound in post if that's an issue for you. Depends on editing software. But all the pros do it, so better to learn now.

It is important to note that the first two options tether the audio cables to the camera. Cutting that tie allows for the camera and sound crew to be in the best position possible.

p.s. Is there any suggestions for a cable holder to hold extra cable to, say, your pants?
Why not use carabiner?

how bout directions for making own boom pole with this?

Do i need shockmount if making own boompole?

There is a great thread by Knightly on DIY boom poles. I am having a tough time finding it. try PM-ing him and he should be able to give some good tips with pics and such. But I made my own using a painter's pole, cheap adapter off ebay, and basic universal shockmount.

It's called a boom assistant or PA ;) (for certain shots only). Otherwise leave it on the floor. It should run down the pole, onto the floor, to the mixer.

Back